Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Stenberg <da...@haxx.se> on 2001/08/31 09:49:30 UTC

DB 3.3.11 configure fails to detect gcc

FYI

(Read the bits you care about, this contains bits that might interest both
subversion users and sleepycat's configure script hackers.)

I put my db-3.3.11 directory in the subversion directory (and named it db)
and then, when running the top-level configure I get problems with the
configure in db/dist.

The reason for this is that I run this on a Solaris machine with a 'cc' that
doesn't work (it is an executable that is runnable, but it is not a working
compiler), but with a 'gcc' that does.

The configure script in db/dist doesn't detect gcc but finds cc and goes with
that:

[output from db/dist/configure]
checking for cc... cc
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot
create executables
configure failed for db/dist

(This is because it uses AC_CHECK_TOOL() to figure out which cc to use
without any means of picking the second choice if the first one turns out not
to work, as in my case.)

The annoying part is that I can't just 'cd' into db and run './configure
CC=gcc' first and then go back to subversion and build it from scratch, as
subversion's configure script will later re-run db's configure script
(without the CC set) and then it'll fail...

*but* setting 'CC=gcc' in the top-level will cause neon's configure output a
warning: "configure: warning: CC=gcc: invalid host type" (in several places)
Isn't this a bug?

Anyway, it seems to pass OK anyway. (until it died on my "too new libtool"...
more about that in a separate mail)

My machine:

host:~>uname -a SunOS host 5.7 Generic_106541-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
host:~>gcc -v
gcc version 3.0
host:~>cc ; echo $?
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
1

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77

Re: DB 3.3.11 configure fails to detect gcc

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:56:18AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Ah, it just struck me. Is this perhaps because I generate the main subversion
> configure with autoconf 2.52, while the neon one is built with an older
> version and the 2.52 one passes environment variables to the neon one in a
> way the older generated one doesn't support?

That would make perfect sense :) 2.52 is trying to pass down env vars on
the command-line, whereas 2.13 relies on the environment. You could put
an "echo neon configured like: $*" at the top of neon/configure to be
certain.

Can you re-generate the neon configure script using 2.5x to fix this? Mo
posted instructions for this to the neon list a while back, looks like
no patching is needed...

http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/neon/2001-June/000544.html

joe

Re: DB 3.3.11 configure fails to detect gcc

Posted by Daniel Stenberg <da...@haxx.se>.
On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Joe Orton wrote:

> > Yes, you're right. But in my case it unfortunnately doesn't make any
> > difference. The neon configure fails no matter how I set the environment
> > variable. Even if I do (using tcsh):
>
> That's weird... on RH Linux I can do

I'm sorry, I wasn't specific enough there. These failures *only* occur when
the neon configure is run as a part of the big subversion configure run, not
when I run the neon configure stand-alone.

So, yes, I too can run those command lines in the neon directory with no
fuss.

I'm using:
 libtool 1.4.0a (1.922.2.27 2001/08/18 22:31:47) [1]
 autoconf 2.52

The part of the configure output that is interesting looks like shown below.

Ah, it just struck me. Is this perhaps because I generate the main subversion
configure with autoconf 2.52, while the neon one is built with an older
version and the 2.52 one passes environment variables to the neon one in a
way the older generated one doesn't support?

------- start of dump ------
configuring package in neon now
configure: warning: CC=gcc: invalid host type
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for a BSD compatible install...
/home/dast/src/subversion/neon-0.15.3/install-sh -c
checking for inline... inline
checking for working const... yes
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `CC=gcc': machine `CC=gcc'
not recognized

checking build system type... Invalid configuration `CC=gcc': machine
`CC=gcc' not recognized

checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/ccs/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/ccs/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... yes
updating cache /dev/null
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed
configure failed for neon
------- end of dump ----------

[1] = I need this recent version of libtool for another project of mine,
      this version is from the libtool CVS branch-1-4 as no previous version
      of libtool seems to work correctly on OpenBSD!

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:29:07AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On 31 Aug 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > Use:
> >
> >     env CC=gcc ./configure
> >
> > to run the top-level configure.  Being able to set environment variables
> > as options to configure is a very new feature and I think was introduced
> > in autoconf 2.50.
>
> Yes, you're right. But in my case it unfortunnately doesn't make any
> difference. The neon configure fails no matter how I set the environment
> variable. Even if I do (using tcsh):

That's weird... on RH Linux I can do

  env CC=kgcc ./configure

with the SVN tree, and the CC setting propagates down to neon correctly.
On Solaris 8, I can do

 env CC=gcc ./configure

with neon standalone, and neon picks it up correctly (on a machine which
like yours doesn't have a working cc installation)... are you using a
normal tree? autoconf 2.1x? No config.cache files lying around?

joe

Re: DB 3.3.11 configure fails to detect gcc

Posted by Daniel Stenberg <da...@haxx.se>.
On 31 Aug 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Use:
>
>     env CC=gcc ./configure
>
> to run the top-level configure.  Being able to set environment variables
> as options to configure is a very new feature and I think was introduced
> in autoconf 2.50.

Yes, you're right. But in my case it unfortunnately doesn't make any
difference. The neon configure fails no matter how I set the environment
variable. Even if I do (using tcsh):

1)
 setenv CC gcc
 ./configure

2)
 env CC=gcc ./configure

3)
 ./configure CC=gcc

I'll do some more digging when I find the time, and get back with more
details.

Posted by Russ Allbery <rr...@stanford.edu>.