Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Greg Weinger <gw...@itmedicine.net> on 2002/11/15 03:48:29 UTC

The Sitemap is null

I just found a solution to a nasty intermittent problem with cocoon
2.0.3, so for the sake of posterity (and potential Google searchers) I'm
posting it.

The exception was this:

   java.lang.RuntimeException: The Sitemap is null, this should never
be!    at

 org.apache.cocoon.components.source.SitemapSource.refresh(SitemapSource.java:309)
at

 org.apache.cocoon.components.source.SitemapSource.<init>(SitemapSource.java:198)
at

 org.apache.cocoon.components.source.CocoonSourceFactory.getSource(CocoonSourceFactory.java:96)

Once this was thrown, Cocoon was dead.

I am running Tomcat 4.1.12-LE, Cocoon 2.0.3 and JDK 1.4.0_01 on Windows XP

Basically, something in our code was causing us to throw this exception
recurrently, but never in the same exact place.  After 2 weeks we still
could not isolate any sequence of events to cause it deterministically.
 I won't go further into our code here, because of its complexity.

The solution was to run Tomcat as an NT Service instead of from a
startup.bat script in a DOS window.  Perhaps someone out there could
enlighten me as to why this would have an effect; does NT give services
a higher priority in allocating memory?

The only previous related post was here:
http://mailman.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-users/2002-August/021584.html

--Greg Weinger