Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca> on 2003/05/11 02:03:27 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

I was *going* to install The latest version of apache on my computer,
but there was an error. This is what it said in the terminal from the
beginning:

[macserve:~/desktop/httpd-2.0.45] mzwicker% ./configure --prefix=/apace
checking for chosen layout... Apache
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6

Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...

checking for APR... reconfig
configuring package in srclib/apr now
^C[macserve:~/desktop/httpd-2.0.45] mzwicker% ./configure
--prefix=/apache
checking for chosen layout... Apache
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6

Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...

checking for APR... reconfig
configuring package in srclib/apr now
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
Configuring APR library
Platform: powerpc-apple-darwin6.6
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
APR Version: 0.9.3
checking for chosen layout... apr
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
configure failed for srclib/apr
[...]

now what?? Help!

Mike

[users@httpd] Re: Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Jeff Grossman <je...@stikman.com>.
Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Oh god, I'm still lost. It says to get this GCC thing (?), so I did,
>and that won't do anything but sit there and be annoying!! Can't I get
>a version thats already... configured and such, and just put it in the
>proper place? God this is annoying!!! [:¬( Do you know of some compiler
>for Unix? Because I don't have a clue about that.
>Thanks.
>Mike

If you want to compile programs on Mac OS X, you will need to download
and install the OS X Developer Tools.

Go to http://developer.apple.com for more information about the
developer tools.

Jeff
--
Jeff Grossman (jeff@stikman.com)

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Thomas Strike <st...@pacbell.net>.

I am not familiar with OS-X, but a good place to start is;
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#powerpc-*-darwin*
After installing, make sure that your compiler can be found
in your system search path so Apache can find it.

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca>.
I really have no idea why I am moving up. All my techie friends have
moved up to 2, but then again they all have Winders, and I have a mac.
I like to be updated, thats all. [:-D   But I still don't know why
apache has to be a pain in the arse to install on a mac. On my Windoze
VPC, I tried to install it, and I had Apache, PHP, MySQL, perl, etc.,
all installed in like 45 minutes. Thats actually one thing I have done
on Winders that wasn't time consuming, as opposed to doing that on my
mac, which took me days too get MySQL working properly. Anywho, G'Day!

Mike

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Steve Campbell <st...@forerunners.org>.
On 5/10/03 7:42 PM, "Mac Serve" <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Oh god, I'm still lost. It says to get this GCC thing (?), so I did,
> and that won't do anything but sit there and be annoying!! Can't I get
> a version thats already... configured and such, and just put it in the
> proper place? God this is annoying!!! [:¬( Do you know of some compiler
> for Unix? Because I don't have a clue about that.
> Thanks.
> Mike

Yeah, GCC has been around for some time. Why are you moving up to 2, may I
ask? I am just curious as I haven't yet.  I was wanting to know what all it
has that has so many moving on up.

Thanks for any help on this

Steve

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Joe Apache <ap...@productivitymedia.com>.
ok... that's a  different problem.  Next time be clearer, this problem
probably stems from the your httpd.conf.  What is your hostname, are
you using BIND8/9?  You should place your hostname or IP address if not
using a hostname in the ServerName directive of your httpd.conf file.
Then restart Apache. Looks like you have a fresh install and didn't
configure the httpd.conf file.  Read it through....

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca>.
Okay, I have Apache 2.0.45 installed, but, whenever I go to restart it,
it doesn't load the page anymore. I have to actually kill httpd. When I
try to shut it down/restart through term, it says this:

[macserve:/Library/Apache2/bin] mzwicker# ./apachectl graceful
httpd not running, trying to start
(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs

I dunno what happened... strange, help pleeeeeease!

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Joe Apache <ap...@productivitymedia.com>.
Did you install the developers tools that came with OS X?  That's
probably your problem.... I'm running 2.0.45 on my powerbook G4 with
10.2.6.  And it was from the gzip source.

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca>.
Hello

I downloaded... I guess something you made, Aaron Faby, the already
compiled Apache and PHP! It worked out perfectly! Anhywho, I was in
root when I tried that. The hash (#) mark symbolizes that I am root. I
think I have it ironed out now! Thanks for the help guys!

Mike

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Aaron Faby <my...@serverlogistics.com>.
Hi Mike,

Either start apache as root using "su", or use the sudo command. You
will
not be able to start Apache as a regular user, even if you are an admin.

sudo /Library/Apache2/bin/apachectl start

Regards,
Aaron Faby

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 06:57  AM, Mac Serve wrote:

> Yeah, I have Apache 2.0.45 installed, AND I have the developer tools
> installed. I did for quite some time now, anywho, moving on, know
> anything about this:
>
> [macserve:/Library/Apache2/bin] mzwicker# ./apachectl graceful
> httpd not running, trying to start
> (48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
> 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
>

> Mike

Aaron Faby                                      Server Logistics
aaron@serverlogistics.com              UNIX, Internet, Macintosh
http://www.serverlogistics.com               Phone: 323-963-9867
Fax: 323-372-3546                             Cell: 323-363-9127

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 2.0.45 on OS X

Posted by Ian McFarland <ia...@neo.com>.
No, no, no....

You just need to install the OS X Development Tools! (Installers should
be on your system if you bought it with OS X, or on the dev tools CD if
you bought OS X separately.)

The Apple development tools include GCC and a bunch of other good
things. (And are free.) Once you do that (assuming you don't have the
broken gcc you installed on your path somewhere) it should be pretty
easy. Not user level easy, but certainly not Unix Guru level, either.

-Ian

Posted by Thomas Strike <st...@pacbell.net>.
> I was *going* to install The latest version of apache on my computer,
> but there was an error. This is what it said in the terminal from the
> beginning:
>
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> configure failed for srclib/apr
> [macserve:~/desktop/httpd-2.0.45] mzwicker%
>
> now what?? Help!
>
> Mike

Apache is looking for an ANCI-C complient compiler
and library and cannot find one on your system.
See INSTALL and install.html documentation in your httpd-2.0.45 release

Good Luck,
Tom S.