Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/02/01 05:55:51 UTC

Please join Derby web site discussion on derby-dev

If you're interested in the layout of the Derby web site, please join
the discussion on derby-dev. Below is the post to that list.

 -jean

Subject: 	[WEB] Derby web site layout
Date: 	Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:54:03 -0800
From: 	Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com>
To: 	Derby Development <de...@db.apache.org>

Earlier today I wrote:

> In about an hour -- I hope :-) --  I'm going to post a mock-up of what
> the Derby site would look like with more tabs in response to two posts
> last week.
>
> (1) Kevin Foster posted this to derby-user:
>
>> I understand that with the newer version of Forrest being used for
>> the Derby pages, it would be possible to add more tabs across the top
>> without impacting the layout of the content below the tabs.
>>
>> If that's true, what do people think of the idea of changing the set
>> of tabs to the following:
>>
>>     Home    Community   Manuals   Papers   Integration
>>
>> I think that's there enough content and usefulness on Community and
>> Integration to make them tabs in their own right.
>

> (2) Dan Debrunner posted this to derby-dev:
>
>> Is it possible to get the > Community tab to be expanded on the home
>> page as well as the > Derby tab?
>>
> So Dan was reacting to the forrest 0.6 collapsible menus. Forrest 0.6
> doesn't support turning that feature off, though we could modify the
> forrest skin to get the behavior we want. --I don't much like the idea
> of modifying the skin ourselves because I'd rather that it be easy for
> people to check the derby web site out of svn, download forrest, and
> build the site with the defaults. But if anyone feels strongly about
> modifying the skin, speak up!
>
> At any rate, Kevin's suggestion would be a way to address Dan's point.
>
> Forrest 0.6 also has an easy sub-tab feature.  I want to show what
> tabs and subtabs look like, then ask people for feedback on how they
> want the web site to be organized.

I set up a skeletal test site here that doesn't have the bulk of the
derby web site:

   http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyTest/

It shows a couple options:

(1) Splits the Community and Integration categories into two tabs
(2) Adds two subtabs to the Papers tab. I don't have this working quite
right yet; when you click on one of the subtabs, it loses the focus of
the Papers tab.

As a minor note, I moved the "built with Apache Forrest image" down to
the footer. For reasons I haven't figured out yet, it displays on some
pages and not others and I found that distracting.

Comments? Knowing what we can easily do, how would you like the site
organized?

-jean