Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Kang <st...@iname.com> on 2000/04/09 22:17:45 UTC

Insufficient Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO

Hi,

You guys have done a very great job on Tomcat.

To make the great job even greater, you need better Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO.

I tried to install tomcat recently, it took me much more time than it
deserves. In my opinion, it is all because of the insufficient document.

I have a pristine RH6.1 installation. I am new to Tomcat. I was
expecting a no nonsense, step by step installation instruction. But the
Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO was too generic to be particularly useful for RH6.1.

After all the time I spent, I put up a step by step instruction on
tomcat installation on RH6.1
It is located at:
http://www.geocities.com/stevekang.geo/linux/install_tomcat.html

It is nothing revolutionary, but I think it will save a lot of time for
installing Tomcat on RH6.1.
Please review it and include in your documentation the way you think
appropriate.

If you have any comments, please let me know.

Thanks.

Steve

PS: the article.
Install Tomcat (Java Servlet Engine) in Redhat 6.1

                                      Steve Kang

                                  Last updated: April 2, 2000

                                    [ Home | Email Me ]

Introduction:

I wanted to explore Java servlet programming recently. I need to get my
web host software to support this. I have a newly installed
Redhat6.1 with Apache web server 1.3.9 activated. I surfed the web for a
while and found the reference from Sun's java site to
"Tomcat" at Apache site.

I downloaded the software (Tomcat 3.1 beta), opened the tar ball and
installed it. Then I read the document and tried to follow to get
my Java Servlet engine up and running. I found out in pain it was by no
means an easy task (Which I thought it would be). The
instructions given was too generic to be exact for RedHat6.1, some of
crucial steps was missing. I ended up digging into RedHat
Apache configuration, subscribing to Tomcat user group and look through

After spending 3 days (part time), I finally got it working. I put this
notes here to save myself and those in my similar situation time in
the future.

Step by Step instructions

Assumption: After your RedHat6.1's installation, your apache web server
(1.3.9) is already up and running.

Test this by go to http://your.host.ip.address in your netscape browser.
You should see something like: "it works", "If you can see
this, it means that the installation of the Apache software on this Red
Hat Linux system was successful. "

You have to be root user to do the installation.

1. Download necessary software packages.

Jdk1.2.2 from blackdown. http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/ports.html

jakarta-tomcat.tar.gz (Tomcat 3.1beta), mod_jserv.so from Apache Tomcat.
http://jakarta.apache.org/

2. Install jdk1.2.2 to directory: /usr/local/misc/jdk1.2.2

3. Install tomcat to /usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat

4. Copy mod_jserv.so to /usr/lib/apache

cp mod_jserv.so  /usr/lib/apache

5. Edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and add the following line at the
end:

Include /usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf

6. Edit file /usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf

Change line:

LoadModule jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so

to:

LoadModule jserv_module /usr/lib/apache/mod_jserv.so

7. Restart Apache

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart

Make sure your apache server is now working properly by checking
http://<your.host.ip.address> is working

8. Setup environment variables for Tomcat and Java

export TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/misc/jdk1.2.2

9. Start Tomcat

/usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat/bin/startup.sh

10. See if your Tomcat is working

Check: http://your.host.ip.address:8080

It should display:

"Directory Listing for: /

Tomcat Web Server v3.1 Beta"

Or you can try: http://your.host.ip.address/examples

It should display:

"Directory Listing for: /examples

Up to: /

Tomcat Web Server v3.1 Beta"

11. Shutdown Tomcat

/usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh

Acknowledgments:

The tomcat user news group postings have been life saver in my last
desperate moments.

http://jakarta.apache.org/getinvolved/mail.html

Location of this document

http://www.geocities.com/stevekang.geo/linux/install_tomcat.html

Re: Insufficient Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Steve Kang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You guys have done a very great job on Tomcat.
>
> To make the great job even greater, you need better Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO.

Please take a look at the substantially expanded user's guide that is in the
Tomcat 3.1 beta release (and will be included in the final release as
well).  The 3.1 install process is somewhat different because of changes in
both the location of configuration files, and the increased functionality,
so this User's Guide is intended to replace the HOWTO document you referred
to (which was more relevant to Tomcat 3.0).

You can browse the current version of this User's Guide, straight from the
CVS repository, at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/uguide/tomcat_ug.html

Craig McClanahan

Re: Insufficient Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 4/9/00 1:17 PM, Steve Kang <st...@iname.com> wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/stevekang.geo/linux/install_tomcat.html
>
> It is nothing revolutionary, but I think it will save a lot of time for
> installing Tomcat on RH6.1.
> Please review it and include in your documentation the way you think
> appropriate.
>
> If you have any comments, please let me know.

Why not add that link to the FAQ so that others can benefit from it more
easily?

<http://jakarta.apache.org/jyve-faq/Turbine>

-jon

--