Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Pierre Parrend <pi...@insa-lyon.fr> on 2007/07/09 14:12:35 UTC

bundle digital signature validation for Felix

 Hello all,

  I have posted my implementation of the security layer for Felix on the jira:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-22

do you (mostly Karl and Richard) want to have a look at the patch, or should I
integrate the patch directly in the subversion 'trunk' ?

let me know what do you prefer,

best regards,

Pierre

--
Pierre Parrend
doctorant, moniteur

Re: bundle digital signature validation for Felix

Posted by stephane frenot <st...@insa-lyon.fr>.
Hello all,
I can explain the patch a bit more,

The patch modifies
framework/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/framework/cache/BundleArchive.java

It gets a general property  "private static final String SFELIX_PROP="
fr.inria.ares.sfelix";" to know if we are in a secured environment.
If yes, we call a private function checkSecurity in BundleArchive. The call
is made at the end of each BundleArchive constructor.

The checkSecurity, mainly tries to build an
fr.inria.ares.sfelix.BundleSignatureChecker instance which verifies the
signature in its construction phase.

The framework/pom.xml is modified, since we need bundlesignaturechecker
artifact

To test the patch, just follow the README instructions

**************
We need to converge on two elements :
- The name of the property we should use to trigger the verification :
smthing like : org.osgi.sfelix ?
- Possibly the name and the way we access class we use to check signature.
We can use a property and something like a forName(property) and have a
generic call.

Regards
/stephane

--
Stephane Frenot                    |
ARES INRIA / CITI, INSA-Lyon|mailto:stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr

Re: bundle digital signature validation for Felix

Posted by Pierre Parrend <pi...@insa-lyon.fr>.
> As I said previously, I'm going to look into the patch and write a
> proposal how to integrate it as soon as I find the time. Right now,
> I'd first want the 1.0 release out of the door - hence, please be
> patient for a little longer.

no problem, as long as I known I am waiting for somebody

> p.s.: As Rick suggests, it can't hurt to get an ICLA on file until I
> can look into your patch (and no, you can not "commit this via
> Stephan" - you wrote it, so we need an ICLA and probably a grant from
> you).

the ICLA request is on the road, and has already been faxed to the foundation.

best regards,

Pierre

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Jul 9, 2007, at 19:56 , Richard S. Hall wrote:

> However, for this particular contribution, Karl will need to figure
> out how best to merge it.

A little while ago, Karl indicated he would distribute the
implementation he is working on as an extension bundle. That seems to
be a nice way to integrate features like this into the framework, so
my suggestion would be that this contribution is reworked in the same
way. Like Karl said, that way we end up having two implementations
and people can choose the one they want.

Just out of interest, has anybody validated this implementation
against the TCK?

Greetings, Marcel

Re: bundle digital signature validation for Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Karl Pauls wrote:
> As I said previously, I'm going to look into the patch and write a
> proposal how to integrate it as soon as I find the time. Right now,
> I'd first want the 1.0 release out of the door - hence, please be
> patient for a little longer.
>
> regards,
>
> Karl
>
> p.s.: As Rick suggests, it can't hurt to get an ICLA on file until I
> can look into your patch (and no, you can not "commit this via
> Stephan" - you wrote it, so we need an ICLA and probably a grant from
> you).

Stephane tells me the Pierre was listed on the initial CCLA and that
Pierre will also send an ICLA shortly...so, I think we are in good shape
now. With these two things on file, then it will be possible for
Stephane to commit things for Pierre, but it should probably be done via
JIRA, much like I did for Clement and iPOJO.

However, for this particular contribution, Karl will need to figure out
how best to merge it.

Thanks, Stephane and Pierre.

-> richard

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: bundle digital signature validation for Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Pierre Parrend <pi...@insa-lyon.fr>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I will let Karl answer that...