Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/24 04:14:54 UTC

Newbie help: How do I debug?

So, I think I found a bug in Solr 5 build:

curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/schemaless/select?indent=true&echoParams=all"
- returns echoParams twice.

So, how do I debug it? Enable remote debugging on Jetty and trace it
through the 1024 levels of indirections? Grab a specific test case
(which one?) and modify it for my purposes? Something else?

I am a bit overwhelmed with the step 2 (I got SVN/Idea/build/run test
bit figured out). Any help would be appreciated. Wiki does not seem to
have specific pointers.

Regards,
   Alex.
Personal: http://www.outerthoughts.com/ and @arafalov
Solr resources and newsletter: http://www.solr-start.com/ and @solrstart
Solr popularizers community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6713853

Re: Newbie help: How do I debug?

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
On 24 November 2014 at 10:56, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's certainly something of a challenge when you're totally unfamiliar with the
> relevant code. And then the next one you tackle means you start the process
> all over again ;).

That does not bode well, since I am planning to jump all over
codebase. I am somewhat used to this (3 years jumping all over BEA
Weblogic codebase), but still.

So, is there a "developer wishlist" wiki page somewhere listing these
pain points? I guess the Apache and Fobidden API Jenkins builds are
part of the solution to what used to be a pain point. What about the
rest? Or is everybody too much of a unique snowflake to have common
complains/solutions?

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. In this specific case, I ended up using remote debug and
repeatedly stepping through the code until I figured it out
(SOLR-6780). I hoped to use IntelliJ Ultimate with Chronon debug, but
unfortunately this was exactly the combination it could NOT make
happen somehow. Not even even with IntelliJ U's support for Jetty
(guess our setup is not easy to detect)

Re: Newbie help: How do I debug?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Alexandre:

Yep, this is a problem all right ;).

The two things I usually do are

1> Start with test cases. They're usually named reasonably well and give a place
to at least start.

-or-

2> Semi-randomly set breakpoints in likely-looking code and attach remotely.

IntelliJ (and Eclipse I'm sure) let you essentially grep the code. In this case
I grepped echoParams and found that there are a bunch of references
to echoParams in SolrCore.postDecorateResponse. So that's where I'd start.

It's certainly something of a challenge when you're totally unfamiliar with the
relevant code. And then the next one you tackle means you start the process
all over again ;).

Best,
Erick