Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Anton Sakalouski <as...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/09 18:11:14 UTC

Re: CAY-1191 Undo/Redo support in modeler

Hi Anton,

The patch is a major step ahead, and the code nicely fits in modeler
codebase. It is also an improvement of current classes, because now we
have interface for invoking actions' logic without using performAction
or something. I, however, ran into some issues while playing with
feature, could you elaborate them?

1. Undo/redo buttons should be added to the main toolbar

2. Removal of obj- and db- attributes and relationships cannot be
undone (I assume this will be the most used operation in fact)

3. This might be out of scope of this task, but undoing of Obj or
DbEntity removal might not return to previous map because reverse
relations are removed together. E.g. remove Artist & undo causes
Painting.toArtist to be lost. I had same issue in copy-paste (there's
even a JIRA for that)

3. Revert and open operations should clean undo history

4. Undoing text change is not respective to a page where it was done.
E.g. change DbEntityName -> move to other DbEntity -> Undo

5. There is an ability to remove several objects in tree at once. This
is not supported by Undo-Redo

6. "Undo addition" and "Undo deletion" are quite confusing labels. Can
we change them to "Undo Text Change" or "Undo Text Addition" or
something? Also table undo labels can have values like "Undo true" and
"Redo false". Funny :-))

7. Also if I do text replace (e.g. change "Artist" to "Brtist") only
one change is logged to undo manager. So undoing does not revert the
text. There must be something like "Undo replace"

8. Changing scripts in SQLTemplate and others cannot be undone.

9. Changing relationship properties in inspector windows cannot be
undone.

10. I ocasionally run into CM Error window. This could be caused by
issues above, but anyways this is no good

Oh, and I'm leaving for a vacation soon, so I won't be able to review
anything again in next two weeks.

Re: CAY-1191 Undo/Redo support in modeler

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Anton,

I assume this is a verbatim repost of Andrey's comment from CAY-1191.
It certainly looks like a good idea to move this discussion to the dev
list from Jira. Do you have your own comments on the items that Andrey
have mentioned?

Cheers,
Andrus