Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com> on 2017/04/06 21:35:40 UTC

[FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Hi,

Yesterday I intended to merge the feature/chart_work branch into develop. After I ran some more tests with more complex container structures I found a problem with one of the layouts. I finally worked it out, so now I'm running through all of the examples to make sure they compile so the build completes.

I will not merge into develop until tomorrow, Friday 7 Apr 2017, in the afternoon EDT (after 6pm UTC). I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Peter Ent
Adobe Systems/Apache Flex Project

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

After couple of hours of investigation I have found the reason and fixed
bug. You can check it.
But still something is wrong in case when TabBar is using
TabsItemRendererFactoryForArrayData. If you could take a look that would be
great!

Thanks,
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
Thank you for your patience on this. I did run maven as well on my
directories and got a clean run.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
+1 for merging as you say you tested FlexJSStore and it’s working, we might get develop working again, which is a rather desirable thing ;-)

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
I will look into it and let you know. I changed the life cycle for lists
just a little. I found that the item renderers were being created more
than once (sometimes) and the layouts were being run several times
(sometimes) so I tracked down redundant event dispatches and eliminated
them. Then I went back through examples to see what was depending on the
eliminated events and adjusted them. This is probably the same case. Once
this works out the event flow should be consistent.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
Thanks. I'm having trouble understanding what code is changing the active
tab panel. I can see in the DOM, a tab with is-active set and a
corresponding tab panel has is-active set.

After I add a new tab, things look normal in the DOM. I can now select the
new tab and see that the new tab gets is-active set and the new panel gets
is-active set; no other tab or panel has is-active set.

Then I click from the new tab to a previous tab and the new tab has
is-active removed and the other tab has is-active set. But the new panel
is still is-active while the panel corresponding to the tab I clicked also
has is-active set. I'm trying to figure out where that is happening, but
the tab selection code isn't being called as far as I can tell. Is it now
just happening in CSS?

There is also a number of extra events happening, but I don't think that
is specific to the MDL code. Since a lot of this code is reused for
multiple components, its a little difficult to tell what is actually
happening.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

‹peter

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
I've been working on this most of the day. I think there is something more
fundamental going on that this example has uncovered. There appear to be
duplicate events happening causing event handlers to be registered
multiple times. I'm not comfortable releasing this yet into develop.

I'll continue to work on it over the weekend and we'll see where I get by
Monday.

Regards,
Peter

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

RE: WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.
yes because LLVM to LLVM is sooooo difficult... You have actually have anything constructive to contribute?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I still don't like these references to aliens.  Please, let's focus on the
technical aspects.

IMO, Apache Flex is about components and not about platforms.  That is why
FlexJS is attempting to be platform agnostic.  It supports SWF and
HTML/JS/CSS today.  Maybe some other platform in the future.

Apache projects are about communities of people with similar interests.  I
personally would not want to work on any emulation of Flash.  The problem
space is too big.  There will be expectations that non-Flex content will
run on these emulations.  When something goes wrong, you can't just use an
AS-only project or JSFiddle to test whether it is Flex code or the
platform.  Once you are responsible for a platform, you have to deal with
lots more configuration issues that are abstracted away from Flex.

But that doesn't mean that folks can't discuss these topics here, although
extended discussion should probably happen in the communities that are
actually building out the code (W3C, skia, Flutter).  And those
communities are welcome to discuss their work here in order to draw
attention and recruit for their communities.  And I wish all of them luck,
and hope that our components work on their platforms.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dev LFM <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/12/17, 11:37 AM, "Jason Taylor" <ja...@dedoose.com> wrote:

>Would be really nice if somehow we could get a lot of votes on this
>issue, the flash player team would be the best group to work on this, and
>this would hugely benefit a all flash/flex/air/flex js people.    Alex,
>any chance you could help this vote get more attention?

I do not have influence in that arena.

-Alex

RE: WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.

Posted by Dev LFM <de...@gmail.com>.
About Skia, there are a lot of port's on github..

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.
lol yes, currently WebAssembly dosen't include the bindings to WebGL, so still have to hack things around a bit, but yes essentially we would have to rewrite the main rendering engine to WebGL, still haven't made it deep into LightSpark's rendering engine, but assuming they are mimicking the native flash renderer which is an absolutely beast

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.
That's a really great idea!   Just starting to get LightSpark and WebAssembly building separately, so a lot of stuff to digest and tear through before I'll be able to even wrap my head around it, but yes the problem area is obviously the rendering engine, but I do have quite a bit of experience in the area.   Hopefully I'll have more information in a month or so.  I'm not quite convinced this idea is as crazy as others are making it out to be when many others have done most of the difficult work already.   In an ideal world it would allow the Falcon swf output to be bundled into Lightspark compiled to WebAssembly and run in browser with massive performance gains over the html/js version.

Gary, long shots and out of the box thinking have never scared me, and I wouldn't be nearly as successful if I had blindly followed the masses.
~ JT

Posted by Dev LFM <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.
Gary, do you even have any idea what WebAssembly is? You should check out some articles on it: https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/blob/master/FAQ.md, https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebAssembly/Concepts

In a nutshell the browser vendors finally realized that HTML+JS will never be efficent enough to implement complex software/games in browser, and thus WebAssembly was born. It was designed by the W3C committee that included all the major browser vendors.

Please do yourself a favor and research your opinion before you spread mis-information.

1) It takes a long time to make a powerful system like Flash Player stable enough, Google Map has been using webGL for a long time, improved a lot still crash all the time.

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I would be very interested in hearing how an experiment like that would work out.

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.

WebAssembly Flash ByPass

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.
WebAssembly is officially supported in both Chrome and Firefox right now, and in the rest very soon.
WebAssembly can take LLVM and compiles to a binary format that works cross browser at near native speeds without any plugin.
LightSpark is an open source implemention of the flash player written in C++ that can compile to LLVM.  Potentionally we can compile LightSpark to LLVM and be able to run all flash apps in all browsers without any plugin and completely bypass the death of the flash player.   Thoughts?
~ JT

Re: [FlexJS] feature/chart_work status