Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com> on 2018/01/26 05:19:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] Splitting the repos - ambari-metrics and ambari-logsearch

Hi devs,

We had a brief discussion about the release management of Ambari w.r.t to the new work that is on-going with Mpacks and multi-services, amongst the developers working on the respective pieces. The main point of discussion was that although Metrics and LogSearch are sub-projects of Ambari, the release cadence of these sub-projects and Ambari core does not have to be tied together. Having an Infra Mpack will allow changes to these two modules to be published independently.

The general consensus was to have separate repos for Ambari Metrics, Ambari Log Search and Ambari Infra which would mean we can build and version these modules separately and simplify the release process. I wanted to start a discuss/vote thread for this. I will follow this up with an Infra ticket to fork off the git repos for Ambari Metrics, Ambari LogSearch and Ambari Infra separate from the core codebase once we reach consensus.

Note: These sub-projects do not have any compile-time or run-time dependencies on Ambari except logical dependency on Ambari stack advisor feature to configure the services correctly based on cluster resources. With the MPack effort this behavior will be delegated to individual stack services and the corresponding code will be housed in the service repos anyways. Ambari depends on Ambari Metrics at compile time on the ambari-metrics-common module which is already published to maven central and we would continue to do so if anything changes in the common library.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1 to start.

Best Regards,

Sid

Re: [DISCUSS] Splitting the repos - ambari-metrics and ambari-logsearch

Posted by Aravindan Vijayan <av...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

--
Thanks and Regards,
Aravindan Vijayan

Re: Splitting the repos - ambari-metrics and ambari-logsearch

Posted by Aravindan Vijayan <av...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello all,

Due to a notification settings issue in the newly created Ambari Infra services Git repos (Infra, Logsearch & Metrics), the dev@ambari group is getting a mail on every Pull Request update on these repos. We are working with Apache Infra (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17063) to resolve this. Please ignore the mails until then.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Aravindan Vijayan

On 9/25/18, 11:32 AM, "Siddharth Wagle" <sw...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

    Resending with corected title since this is not a VOTE thread.

    BR,
    Sid
Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Splitting the repos - ambari-metrics and ambari-logsearch

Posted by Myroslav Papyrkovskyy <mp...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Vivek Ratnavel <vi...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Nishant Bangarwa <nb...@hortonworks.com>.
+1
--
Nishant Bangarwa
Hortonworks

Posted by Swapan Shridhar <ss...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the splitting.

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jayush Luniya <jl...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 on this. This has been long standing on the wishlist :)

+1 - I definitely think that splitting their off is a great idea.

Posted by Jonathan Hurley <jh...@hortonworks.com>.