Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/23 13:05:56 UTC

[INFO]: minor Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 respin release is coming

Hi,

I would like to inform you that we plan a minor respin release of Apache
OpenOffice 3.4.1 to support 8 additional languages.

That means a new update src release + 8 convenience binary full install
sets + convenience binary 8 language sets. The Hungarian version will
repackaged to include a dictionary.

The vote is currently ongoing until Saturday. I plan to copy the builds
on dist on Saturday evening when the vote passed successful because of
traveling.

The final release + announcement is target for Tuesday Jan. 29th. We
should have enough time to synch the mirrors etc.

Juergen

Re: [INFO]: minor Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 respin release is coming

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/13 10:19 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
>> How will the OpenOffice auto-update feature work for this re-spun
>> not-really-a-new-release ?
>>

> Each release uses a different URL that points to an XML file.  The XML
> files list the available upgrades for each language.
>
> So take an example, Polish.  The most recent version of Polish is
> OpenOffice.org 3.3.0, so pre-Apache.  When that version checks for an
> update it retrieves this file:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update34/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>
> Polish isn't listed there, so it does not notify the user.
>
> When we then release the Polish version of AOO 3.4.1.  We'll edit the
> XML to add an entry for Polish.  Within a week the 3.3.0 client will
> retrieve the XML again, and see an update listed and notify the user.
>
> So it should work identically to the original batch of AOO 3.4.1
> languages.  It is just happening later.
>
> Regards,

The vote passed successful and I will start to upload the bits now.

Juergen

PS: I am traveling and have limited access to mails and network, I have
to start the upload now where I am online

Re: [INFO]: minor Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 respin release is coming

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> How will the OpenOffice auto-update feature work for this re-spun
> not-really-a-new-release ?

Each release uses a different URL that points to an XML file.  The XML
files list the available upgrades for each language.

So take an example, Polish.  The most recent version of Polish is
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0, so pre-Apache.  When that version checks for an
update it retrieves this file:

http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update34/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

Polish isn't listed there, so it does not notify the user.

When we then release the Polish version of AOO 3.4.1.  We'll edit the
XML to add an entry for Polish.  Within a week the 3.3.0 client will
retrieve the XML again, and see an update listed and notify the user.

So it should work identically to the original batch of AOO 3.4.1
languages.  It is just happening later.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 23 Jan 2013, at 5:13 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The re-spin is to add 8 or 9 languages which do add source. In all other aspects this is 3.4.1. It should have the same content otherwise.
>
> The new source package will have a different name, we are adding the revision number to the name.

Releases have to be voted on, assuming the v3.4.1 release was voted on correctly and you're cleared to release v3.4.1, v3.4.1 is now cast in stone and you can't change those sources without invalidating that vote.

What you should be doing is releasing v3.4.2 after a new vote.

Regards,
Graham

Re: [INFO]: minor Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 respin release is coming

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi,

The re-spin is to add 8 or 9 languages which do add source. In all other aspects this is 3.4.1. It should have the same content otherwise.

The new source package will have a different name, we are adding the revision number to the name.

That's the plan. Considering the Millions of Downloads there will be no advantage for most users in thinking that there is anything different other than support for more languages.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.