Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sterling Anderson <st...@sterlinganderson.net> on 2002/02/27 20:19:14 UTC

Apache behind a router?

Not sure if this is an Apache question or a router question. My Linux
server is running Debian and I installed Apache using Apt. I have 4
domains going to my machine and I set them up using Name-based Virtual
Hosts. Everything worked fine until I put the server behind my router.
The router is a linksys cheapo model. I have all traffic for port 80
going to the Apache server but it has stopped forwarding correctly.
Does anyone know of any resources for changing my apache config or
updating my routing tables?

Thanks.

RE: Router Recommendation? (Was Re: Apache behind a router?)

Posted by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com>.
Dan:

Yea, that's the theory ;o)

It's a good theory, but the problem is that you can only have 1 VIP
address active with NAT. That means only 1 address can NAT through it
to the inside.

So, I suppose my real question is, what's the cheapest router that
can have multiple VIP address with NAT running (my ISP suggested the
Cisco 806 (?) but that's $350...a bit too much for a hobby server.)

-Darrel

Posted by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com>.
Hey Dan:

RE: Apache behind a router?

RE: Apache behind a router?

Posted by Sterling Anderson <st...@sterlinganderson.net>.
Hmm, not exactly sure what you mean. I have my routing set up with
Forwarding. If I use "NameVirtualHost [RouterIP]" it does nothing new.
If I use "NameVirtualHost [INTERNALIP]" it says this:

[Wed Feb 27 13:56:38 2002] [warn] VirtualHost WEBSITE1.NET:80 overlaps
with VirtualHost WEBSITE2.NET:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you
need a NameVirtualHost directive
[Wed Feb 27 13:56:39 2002] [warn] NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.103:80 has
no VirtualHosts

The first warning is repeated 3 more times, once for each of the other
domains. My virtual host config looks like this:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.103

<VirtualHost WEBSITE1.net>
ServerName WEBSITE1.net
ServerAlias www.WEBSITE1.net
DocumentRoot /var/www/WEBSITE1
</VirtualHost>

The "<VirtualHost>...</VirtualHost> is repeated for the other 3 domains.

Re: Apache behind a router?

Posted by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com>.