Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/02/05 21:38:34 UTC

[Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RuperProposal

I've set up a proposal about a Jakarta project for a Repository Project
on the wiki. Below is the current content.

Maven developers are invited to partecipate in the effort :-)

Cheers!

                 --------------------------------

'''Proposal for Apache Jakarta Ruper, A Java Resource Repository
Subproject'''

''5 February 2003''

'''(0) rationale'''

Advanced build systems like Maven and Centipede use a system to download
project dependencies at need, instead on relying them to be in CVS. This
has evident benefits, including less bandwith and disk space usage, and
better and easier project and repository management.

'''(0.1) criteria'''

Meritocracy: Design decisions have been made following the Krysalis
Community project Guidelines, that are very similar to the usual Apache
project guidelines.

Community: There is a growing community of developers that are using the
code in everyday projects.

Alignment: Uses many Jakarta components, and is compatible with Maven
repositories.

Scope:

* Versioning
* Dependencies
* Reposistory mangement
* Downloading of jars.

'''(0.2) warning signs'''

Orphaned products: Ruper is alive and used in Centipede, which is used
to build OS projects.

As for

* Inexperience
* Homogeneous
* Developers
* Reliance on Salaried Developers
* Ties to other Apache Products
* Fascination with Apache Brand

Krysalis Ruper is developed and maintained by Apache developers, that
wish to bring this effort inside Apache itself.

'''(1) scope of the subproject'''

The purpose of this subproject is to create and maintain an
implementation of a repository for resources, dealing with versioning,
dependencies, and usable by the widest possible range of build tools.
Mirroring and alternative ways of distribution are to be strongly pursued.

'''(2) identify the initial source from which the subproject is to be
populated '''

*
[http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-ruper/
Krysalis Ruper]
*
[http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/metamorphosis/krysalis-version/
Krysalis Version]
* [http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/ part of Maven ?]

'''(3) identify the ASF resources to be created '''

'''(3.1) mailing list(s) '''

* ruper-dev
* ruper-cvs

(no user mailing list yet, we are starting at Jakarta)

'''(3.2) CVS repositories '''

* jakarta-ruper

'''(3.3) Bugzilla '''

* jakarta ruper

'''(4) identify the initial set of committers '''

* Nicola Ken Barozzi (nicolaken@apache.org)
* Nick Chalko (nickchalko@apache.org)
* Adam Jack (ajack@TrySybase.com)
* Ted Leung (twleung@sauria.com)

'''(5) identify apache sponsoring individual '''

* Andrew C. Oliver (acoliver@apache.org)
* Nicola Ken Barozzi (nicolaken@apache.org)

'''(6) open issues for discussion'''

* Some Maven committers are interested in contributing Maven code for
this effort.

* The name is still to be defined. Ruper is the current name, but it can
be anything elso. Suggestions:

** '''Jakarta Ruper''' ('''R'''esource '''UP'''dat'''ER''')
** '''JRAN''' (Sorta like CPAN)
** '''Jakarta Lean'''
*** Lean as in smaller becuse there is no jars in cvs.
*** Lean on me  -  to help you find your jars.
** '''JPM''' (Jaava/Jakarta Package Manager)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>>Maven developers are invited to partecipate in the effort :-)
>>

>Great, so you're inviting us to develop something we've already thought
>about intensely and implemented. Do you ever wonder why we as Maven
>developers have never felt compelled to work with you?

Thats not fair Jason.  So far you and the maven developers have received
accords for this.  I know
you want everyone to use maven.  However this stuff has uses outside of
Maven and Centipede and
even Ant.  Lets not be divided on this, please?  We have a chance to
build something really cool and compelling that
will help solve so many problems, contribute a great deal to the
communtiy and it doesn't have to be about
turf.  Heck, remove Nicola Ken and my name as sponsoring members and put
yours there if you want,
we just want to see this happen.  How is irrelevant.  Lets kill Jar-hell
and jars in CVS once and for all!

-Andy

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On 5 Feb 2003, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 15:38, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RuperProposal
> >
> > I've set up a proposal about a Jakarta project for a Repository Project
> > on the wiki. Below is the current content.
> >
> > Maven developers are invited to partecipate in the effort :-)
>
> Great, so you're inviting us to develop something we've already thought
> about intensely and implemented. Do you ever wonder why we as Maven
> developers have never felt compelled to work with you?

Is politics that hard a field to understand?? If you want something from
another group, you have to scratch their back and make them want to give
that something.

Nick, as a Centipede member, wants something from Maven, ie) legitimacy
for Ruper. The solution is easy, pull the Maven code out, and improve it
based on the features in Ruper. Consider Ruper as a prototype-fork of the
Maven code.

Then all parties ought to get something and will agree.

The alternative is:

"Oi Maven, throw your system our and be sit on top of Ruper"

Which is blatantly not going to win any votes. I'm as much an introverted,
socially inept individual as the next oss developer [who has not managed
to read The Prince fully, but has delved into bits] but this really seems
quite easy to do. It's obvious that the approach above is bound to slam
straight into the Maven developers.

Build community through co-operation rather than try to evolve the best
community through antagonism. Meritocracy does not mean doing everything
your own way, and neither does the clause to allow forking when necessary.

Hen

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> >I am not very happy with the maven layout - which includes only jars.
> >If this is aproved - I would like it to require a layout that supports
> >all project components. I assume ( hope ) that part of this project
> >will be an effort to convert jakarta projects to this layout, and also
> >make the necesary changes to gump to generate output for the repository.
> >

> Here is my 2c.  All the "big dream" attempts at this have failed.  So
> starting with maven's approach and
> growing into the "big dream" seems the most sensible model.  There are
> obvious problems with maven's
> approach, but the fact that it actually works is the cutting board.
>  From there though, eventually the approach will
> improve itself through the normal benefit of real people with real
> problems solving them.

+1

As long as we agree this (current maven model) is the start, and not the
end :-)

Costin

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

>I'm +1 overall - but I have few sugestions and proposals.
>
>First: if it will be a jakarta project, I would like it to be all-jakarta,
>like gump - any jakarta ( apache ) committer should have access to it. I
>consider this an requirement ( I won't vote +1 without this ). I think
>that jakarta should become a single community, and I see no good reason
>for a project like that ( which affects the entire jakarta and more ) to
>not be jakarta-wide.

Total +1 to that.  Gump is a FINE model for this.

>I am not very happy with the maven layout - which includes only jars.
>If this is aproved - I would like it to require a layout that supports
>all project components. I assume ( hope ) that part of this project
>will be an effort to convert jakarta projects to this layout, and also
>make the necesary changes to gump to generate output for the repository.

Here is my 2c.  All the "big dream" attempts at this have failed.  So
starting with maven's approach and
growing into the "big dream" seems the most sensible model.  There are
obvious problems with maven's
approach, but the fact that it actually works is the cutting board.
 From there though, eventually the approach will

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote, On 05/02/2003 23.25:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>>I would sugest proposing Version to ant.
>>
>>Why? It seems to me that versioning and resource updating-retriving is
>>really tied together. Why Ant?
>
> If it gets included in ant1.5 - more people will have access to it by
> default, and more likely will be for other projects to use this.

Hmmm... well... any place is fine with me, but this seems more like a
distribution thing than a community/project thing. Ant can bundle it -
and its tasks - regardless of where the project is I suppose, no?

Anyway, I'm fine either way, but I supposed that it made more sense here
at Jakarta ATM.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote, On 05/02/2003 23.02:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>>I am not very happy with the maven layout - which includes only jars.
>>>If this is aproved - I would like it to require a layout that supports
>>>all project components. I assume ( hope ) that part of this project
>>>will be an effort to convert jakarta projects to this layout, and also
>>>make the necesary changes to gump to generate output for the repository.
>>
>>Actually, this is only the *initial* codebase. We decided to follow the
>>Maven layout to minimize duplication, but it will evolve/change in any
>>way deemed best. We want the result and an active community round it,
>>not the code (specifically, not necessarily /that/ code).
>
> I don't care too much about the code either - but more about a layout
> that supports both jars and docs and support files.

Yup.

Ruper==Resource UPdatER (IE any resource)

> Tomcat does this using standard ant tasks ( get, tar, zip, etc )
> on the original distribution - and I think this should continue to work.
> What I think is important is to get the projects generate output and
> releases in this layout and into the repository.
>
> I recently switched to gentoo linux - and the "portage" system is just
> wonderfull. I plan to try to get gump generate emerge files and get
> it to work for jakarta projects - I think this should work too ( i.e.
> the portage system should be able to download the sources from a standard
> location and format ).

Cool

(Yup, I read your blog entry on this ;-)

>>The proposal comprises Krysalis Version, which is an effort to define
>>versions in an implementation indipendent way. I think that it's in the
>>best interest of the project, to support multiple repositories too.
>
> I would sugest proposing Version to ant.

Why? It seems to me that versioning and resource updating-retriving is
really tied together. Why Ant?

>>For example downloading from Sourceforge using their mirroring is
>>another option that IMHO should be available. Of course this needs a
>>metadata facility, similar to the  one that JJAR has (and here comes the
>>JJAR as an example), but this is already discussing the code details ;-)
>
> +1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [OT] Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
A great Idea!  I look forward to seeing you on the ruper(or whatever it ends
up being named) list!

> Moreover, the advantage of Java in this case is that we can distribute
binaries,
> which reduces the installation time from centuries to minutes. My tests
with
> an ebuild for Maven were quite promising (that was before the big
Jelly/Maven

Posted by Stéphane Mor <st...@yahoo.fr>.
On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:02:00PM -0800, Costin Manolache wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> >> I am not very happy with the maven layout - which includes only jars.
> >> If this is aproved - I would like it to require a layout that supports
> >> all project components. I assume ( hope ) that part of this project
> >> will be an effort to convert jakarta projects to this layout, and also
> >> make the necesary changes to gump to generate output for the repository.
> >
> > Actually, this is only the *initial* codebase. We decided to follow the
> > Maven layout to minimize duplication, but it will evolve/change in any
> > way deemed best. We want the result and an active community round it,
> > not the code (specifically, not necessarily /that/ code).
>
> I don't care too much about the code either - but more about a layout
> that supports both jars and docs and support files.
>
> Tomcat does this using standard ant tasks ( get, tar, zip, etc )
> on the original distribution - and I think this should continue to work.
> What I think is important is to get the projects generate output and
> releases in this layout and into the repository.
>
> I recently switched to gentoo linux - and the "portage" system is just
> wonderfull. I plan to try to get gump generate emerge files and get
> it to work for jakarta projects - I think this should work too ( i.e.
> the portage system should be able to download the sources from a standard
> location and format ).

I agree on that: Gentoo portage dependency mechanism *is* great.
They are about to implement dependency inheritance, and I think we have a lot to
learn from the Gentoo guys (and a lot to give them too).
I was thinking to make a maven plugin to generate ebuilds (project descriptors),
but the portage tree is frozen until the next release, so I guess it's not the
right time !

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote on 06/02/2003 08:53:20 AM:

> Costin Manolache wrote, On 05/02/2003 22.14:
> > I am not very happy with the maven layout - which includes only jars.

This is not correct. The maven repository structure includes many
deliverable types, not just jars.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
- continuing discussion on the general/dev lists -

Costin Manolache wrote, On 05/02/2003 22.14:
> I'm +1 overall - but I have few sugestions and proposals.

Cool :-)

> First: if it will be a jakarta project, I would like it to be all-jakarta,
> like gump - any jakarta ( apache ) committer should have access to it. I
> consider this an requirement ( I won't vote +1 without this ). I think
> that jakarta should become a single community, and I see no good reason
> for a project like that ( which affects the entire jakarta and more ) to
> not be jakarta-wide.

I think this is a good idea. I will make this change to the proposal, if
others dissent, please say so and why.

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@apache.org>.