Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2018/02/17 15:42:52 UTC

Board Report

All -

I have submitted the following as our quarterly board report.
If any corrections or additions are needed it is still possible to edit it
- so please feel free to let me know.

thanks,

--larry

 - The Apache Knox Gateway is an Application Gateway for interacting with
the REST APIs and UIs of Apache Hadoop deployments.
The Knox Gateway provides a single access point for all REST and HTTP
interactions with Apache Hadoop clusters. Knox delivers three groups of
user facing services: Proxying, Authentication and Client Services

## Issues:
 - there are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Activity:
 - The Apache Knox team completed the release of Apache Knox 0.14.0 and
followed up with our 1.0.0 release which was largely the same as 0.14.0
but it included a repackaging of all of our class package names to remove
"hadoop" from the name. This allows downstream consumers to take on new
features in 0.14.0 without being forced to move to new package names in
case of incompatibilities. We have a backlog of JIRAs for 1.1.0 but will
also begin our feature planning through the use of KIP-# wiki pages to
identify larger features and themes for the release.

## Health report:
 - We have continued to use the KIP-# pages to drive the primary focus of
each
release and feel it is working well. The 0.14.0 release was primarily
focused on the addition of the service discovery and simplified descriptors
(KIP-8) to improve and simplify management of topologies. It also includes
many improvements and bug fixes. It took a bit longer than anticipated due
issues found during the VOTE with community testing. The Dec 14 2017
release date
allowed for the primary focus for 0.14.0 to be more rounded out and a
better quality
release to roll into out 1.0.0 milestone in early Feb 2018.
 - Community contributions continue to show growth and growing interest and
is
encouraging.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 16 PMC members.
 - Philip Zampino was added to the PMC on Mon Jan 01 2018

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 20 committers.
 - Philip Zampino was added as a committer on Fri Dec 29 2017

## Releases:

 - Last release was 1.0.0 on Wed Feb 07 2018

## Mailing list activity:

 - dev@knox.apache.org:

 - user@knox.apache.org:

## JIRA activity: