Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/14 17:15:02 UTC

Intend to release maven-assembly-plugin 3.0.0

I have selfish/professional reasons to desire a release with a fix to
MASSEMBLY-777, and the fix, involving an intentional incompatibility,
needs to be 3.0.0, and, anyhow, the pom is all set up for 3.0.0 to be
next. So I plan to start the process tomorrow morning EDT unless
someone objects.

Re: Intend to release maven-assembly-plugin 3.0.0

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
We were discussing which version to use for core dependencies. Assembly
plugin will not be 3.0 unless you do it yourself.

Kristian

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
[joke]
If you're really stuck I can invoke a claim that we agreed X and we can
rely on everyone else being too lazy to find the counter-evidence on the
mailing list archives!
[/joke]

More seriously, I remember a discussion but my memory fails me on the exact
version we settled on... Anything less than 3.0.3 *for users* is a bad
thing IMHO. I don't think there are much API difference between the 3.0.x
series to make a critical difference though

On Thursday, July 16, 2015, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> The reason why you're not sure of the exact version explains why we ended
> up with simply 3.0 :)
> Now it is clear for everybody.
>
> Robert
>
> Op Wed, 15 Jul 2015 08:43:59 +0200 schreef Kristian Rosenvold <
> kristian.rosenvold@zenior.no>:
>
>  14. jul. 2015 21.04 skrev "Robert Scholte" <rfscholte@apache.org
>>
>>> mvn clean verify -Prun-its -Dinvoker.mavenHome=d:\apache-maven-3.0 fails
>>>
>> on my machine
>>

>>>  We are 3.0.3/4/5 minimum, which I believe is in accordance with our
>> discussions. Cant remember exactly which versjon though :)

Sent from my phone

Re: Intend to release maven-assembly-plugin 3.0.0

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I want to point out that the original set of changes here was a
complete violation of the principles Jason raised in the first place.
It was a completely breaking change, introduced incompatibly. Anyone
who had been pushing foo.filtered files around before it was out of
luck afterwards.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Well I suppose you're right.

The wiki document does not represent formal project policy anyway.

Kristian

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi Benson,

this is not the 3.0 version of a plugin I had in mind. For instance, it
isn't compatible with all Maven3 versions and there's still a lot of
cleanup to do[1]

Other messages are clear was well, especially from Hervé about trying to
figure out why these extensions are special.

thanks,
Robert

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Plugin+migration+to+Maven3+dependencies
*

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>.
I also only have 4 failing ITs to fix wrt removing the deprecated goals.
One heck of a job though...

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Sander Verhagen <sa...@sanderverhagen.net>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Sander Verhagen <sa...@sanderverhagen.net>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
> On Jul 14, 2015, at 11:59 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>> Ultimately your call. If users can upgrade and existing configuration will work there’s no issue. If it breaks the user simply upgrading for something you need need for expediency not so much. If it’s the first case there’s no issue, if it’s the second then I would take the 15 minutes to make it backward compatible and therefore a non-issue then it’s win-win. I have no issue with any committer punching in fixes, even for self-interested reasons, but personally I try my best to make it transparent over upgrades.
>
> Jason, thank you. I completely agree about transparency in general. It
> seems to me that this hinges on the definition of 'works'. Does adding
> an unwanted file to the output constitute 'not working’?

User upgrades and it doesn’t work I consider not working. Maven plugins are different than libraries and unless you are adding major feature changes it doesn’t warrant a signal to a user that all is going to break. Especially in this where it can be avoided. People who run the build are often not the people who setup the build and that person is often not around so making breaking changes to configurations on teams is super disruptive.

> I could
> imagine arguments in both directions. The other consideration here, in
> my head, is that there's a cost to an ever-growing list of obscure
> options in the assembly descriptor, and that a major version boundary,
> teed up for other good reasons, is an opportunity to clean house.

Yes, but that is unlikely to happen. I highly doubt your change is going to trigger a wholesale cleanup of one of the most complicated plugins we have. And even if it was done it should still be done iteratively for something like the assembly plugin. People who look forward to a super new assembly plugin where they have to fiddle with their configuration to make it work are in the vast minority. It’s the configuration of the plugin which is the most important and the way Maven plugin configuration works it’s pretty much possible 100% of the time to preserve a pre-existing model. You can make wholesale changes, preserve the model, keep existing users happy and allow new users to consciously make the choice to change their configuration to take advantage of new features. That’s really the only sensible path we have for most of our plugins. The onus is on us to make things work for as long as humanly possible. That’s the nature of build infrastructure.

> considered, even, sending email proposing to remove the
> long-deprecated goals from this plugin.

Again, I think the vast majority of people don’t really look at these. If the build works they carry on, that’s just the nature of the behaviour of most Maven users. In developing applications I’m somewhat different but for build infrastructure I tend to ignore my indignation and “unclean” code and the inelegance of some of our systems. We live with our baggage and if you want to improve it, it certainly can be done but it just has to be done with care. Your example here for a major change just seems unwarranted.

> For now, I've decided to hold off a day or two and see what other
> people think; I have a local workaround. And for the record, this
> isn't 'my client', this is me doing my day job using Maven where I ran
> into this.

If it’s easy to make compatible why would you not do it?

>>> On Jul 14, 2015, at 11:36 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jason, I don't think that this constitutes a punch in the face of
>>> anyone for any purpose.
>>>
>>> Did you actually read the JIRA? I've removed a file exclusion from
>>> file sets. So, if someone was depending on the undocumented fact that
>>> the assembly plugin would refuse to copy a file named (e.g.)
>>> lexicon.filtered, they will now find this file in their output, if and
>>> only if they upgrade to 3.0.0; and then, if they don't like it, they
>>> need to add in an <exclude>. That's what major release numbers are
>>> for, in my view.
>>>
>>> I don't see that as aggressive. I see it as correcting an obscure bug.
>>> I describe it as 'incompatible' because it does change behavior.
>>> However, I also claim that the behavior was a bug, not a feature. It's
>>> not documented, it's contrary to the pattern that users can control
>>> excludes and includes.
>>>
>>> No one is forced to use assembly 3.0.0. People can use 2.5.5. People
>>> who care can make a branch and make 2.5.6.
>>>
>>> In other words, I accept your logic in general, but I don't agree that
>>> it's applicable to these particular circumstances. If I felt that it
>>> was even faintly useful to retain this behavior, I'd add a new boolean
>>> to the model to retain the behavior by default. But it seems stupid to
>>> me to add the conceptual overhead for that purpose.
>>>
>>> However, if the community wants a boolean, I'll knock in a boolean,
>>> and then release. It would be called:
>>>
>>>  <useDefaultFilteredFormattedExcludes>
>>>
>>> and it would be true by default.
>>>
>>> Heck, if even one member of the community really thinks that backwards
>>> preservation of this bug across a major release boundary is
>>> worthwhile, I'll do it. It will take 15 minutes.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.
>>
>> -- Alan Perlis

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

 -- Unknown

Re: Intend to release maven-assembly-plugin 3.0.0

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> I considered, even, sending email proposing to remove the
> long-deprecated goals from this plugin.

Not a Maven committer, but I'm with Benson on this one. If there is an
opportunity to clean it up, please do it. When I upgrade POMs to new
major versions I'd expect them to fail if I keep using something that
has been long deprecated (and isn't actively maintained). Otherwise
what's the point of upgrading to a new major version?

Dawid

Re: Intend to release maven-assembly-plugin 3.0.0

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
> Ultimately your call. If users can upgrade and existing configuration will work there’s no issue. If it breaks the user simply upgrading for something you need need for expediency not so much. If it’s the first case there’s no issue, if it’s the second then I would take the 15 minutes to make it backward compatible and therefore a non-issue then it’s win-win. I have no issue with any committer punching in fixes, even for self-interested reasons, but personally I try my best to make it transparent over upgrades.

Jason, thank you. I completely agree about transparency in general. It
seems to me that this hinges on the definition of 'works'. Does adding
an unwanted file to the output constitute 'not working'? I could
imagine arguments in both directions. The other consideration here, in
my head, is that there's a cost to an ever-growing list of obscure
options in the assembly descriptor, and that a major version boundary,
teed up for other good reasons, is an opportunity to clean house. I

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
A little list,

1: we have an agreement, as a project, to bump major versions when
someone is willing to do the Maven 3.x/Java 1.6 transition. There does
not have to be any particularly interesting set of changes to the
plugin, just that. I didn't make the POM changes, for that, I just
found them, and thought: "Great! I can make this slightly incompatible
change." If they are not, in fact, ready, then neither I nor anyone
else should release 3.0.0 until they are. But I object to the idea
that the trunk of a plugin has to sit in Java 1.5 purgatory until
someone comes up with something wonderful to add in.

2: I consider it very ugly that someone decided to implement filtering
by littering the tree with crap files and then excluding them out. But
I agree that I can't go busting filtering. So, I see three
possibilities:

 a: find a way to move the filtering intermediates to some other location
 b: add the excludes only if filtering is actually happening -- but I
don't see a good way to do that.
 c: add a parameter to the model to allow the exclusion to be disabled.

I confess that my energy level here is only consistent with (c), so
unless someone else steps up for (a) that's what I'll do next.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Kristian,

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
I have already updated this requirements to maven 3.x and moved the version
to 3.0.0. If you for some reason think Benson requires to jump through some

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Benson,

I have taken a look and i see only a small change which is very good
idea to do so, but which means the upgrade to 3.0.0 does not make sense.

An update to 3.0.0 indicates very important things to the user which is
not the case and that means 3.0.0 is more compatible to 2.5.X which
shouldn't be done, cause that would close the door for making real
incompatible changes to maven-assembly-plugin in release 3.0.0...

So my suggestions is to create a branch from the last release 2.5.5 and
make a 2.5.6 release instead which contains your fix and furthermore
you can add the fluido skin change as well with an appropriate JIRA
reference...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

O7/14/15 5:15 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
> I have selfish/professional reasons to desire a release with a fix to
> MASSEMBLY-777, and the fix, involving an intentional incompatibility,
> needs to be 3.0.0, and, anyhow, the pom is all set up for 3.0.0 to be
> next. So I plan to start the process tomorrow morning EDT unless
> someone objects.

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Karl-Heinz Marbaise