Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by siraj p s <si...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/20 08:17:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Help to identify the files in the source code

We are a group of students undertaking a project to extend addressing
of more machines using IPv4 itself. Here we propose to alter the
http://public-ip-address/path-to-object

The path-to-object is altered incorporating the address of local
machines. i.e., http://public-ip-address/192.168.1.102/path-to-object

We propose to let the httpd server execute a wget command when it
finds an additional IP address in the path-to-object. ie. it executes
wget 192.168.1.102/path-to-object and returns the object.

Can anyone advise us as to which are the files where we should be working on
?

Re: [users@httpd] Help to identify the files in the source code

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM, siraj p s <si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Eric ...We were able to successfully implement our idea..Can this
> idea be utilised for preventing ipv4 address exhaustion?

*No.*
*I hate to be so blunt about it, but a standard httpd installation* will run
an (virtually) unlimited number of sites from a single server (including SSL
using SNI).
As Eric mentioned, (unless there is something REALLY innovative, which I
don't see in your original email) Apache already has what you are trying to
do (frontend proxy to arbitrary backend servers) built in (mod_rewrite and
the proxy flag).
The reasons that a server might need more than one IP address:
- SSL compatibility with older browsers that don't support SNI.
- Other services that do not support virtual hosts (but that does not belong
on the httpd users list).

Re: [users@httpd] Help to identify the files in the source code

Posted by siraj p s <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM, siraj p s <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the response..Our need is not a proxy server.We are trying to
> create a proxy that would serve objects from other machines on the local net
> which belongs to class C family..

Why would you want to "create a proxy" by running wget when there's a
fully-featured HTTP proxy already there?

Re: [users@httpd] Help to identify the files in the source code

Posted by siraj p s <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by siraj p s <si...@gmail.com>.
th