Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/26 11:46:47 UTC

Continuum 2 and UI refactoring

Hi,

Since few days, I look at Vaadin (http://vaadin.com/home).
This framework (under ASL) seems to be a good candidate for an UI
refactoring of Continuum because we code all the UI with java and the
rendering in the browser is done with GWT without to write GWT code if
standard components is used. The server send only the part of the UI that
must be changed and for the compilation, we don't have to generate the
static file required in a standard GWT project.
So the development seems to be more easy and the UI result can be better
than the actual Continuum UI.

Do you know this framework?
What do you think if I try to work on a prototype?

Emmanuel

Re: Continuum 2 and UI refactoring

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Emmanuel Venisse
<em...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since few days, I look at Vaadin (http://vaadin.com/home).
> This framework (under ASL) seems to be a good candidate for an UI
> refactoring of Continuum because we code all the UI with java and the
> rendering in the browser is done with GWT without to write GWT code if
> standard components is used. The server send only the part of the UI that
> must be changed and for the compilation, we don't have to generate the
> static file required in a standard GWT project.
> So the development seems to be more easy and the UI result can be better
> than the actual Continuum UI.
>
> Do you know this framework?
> What do you think if I try to work on a prototype?

I don't know the framework, but +1 to trying it out!  I think any work
that tries to use a different front end will help us identify places
where the code is inappropriately coupled, and that refactoring can be
brought back to trunk.

--
Wendy