Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/29 19:57:14 UTC

Gradle Support for Apache NetBeans

Dear all,

I would like to donate my Gradle works to Apache NetBeans.

Right now the code is here:
https://github.com/lkishalmi/incubator-netbeans/tree/gradle-support

I just recently rebased it on master, so there is no conflicts. If I'd
create a PR from it that would mean 317 new files and ~35k line of code.

The current state of the plugin:

  * It Opens Gradle Projects resource efficiently
  * It is based on the ideas found in our Maven Plugin
  * It supports JavaSE and Groovy development
  * Unit Testing
  * Code Coverage
  * JPA projects
  * Spring (the little support we have for that)
  * Navigator for project task
  * Custom Task execution
  * Output processing
  * Debugging (even single methods)
  * Creating new projects

The shady side:

  * The Gradle <-> NetBeans project discovery and communication.
    Based on simple property serialization. Ugly Groovy code, well the
    deserialization Java code isn't that nice as well
  * Limited number of unittest
  * Being a sole developer there could be glitches here and there as of
    lack of wider testing.
  * Gradle is required to build the NetBeans <-> Gradle tooling
    This adds a binary
    groovy/gradle/netbeans-gradle-tooling/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
    to the source distribution package, though this file is not
    distributed. So Apace might agree with that.

Introduced External Dependencies:

  * Gradle Tooling API (Apache Licensed)
      o slf4j (Apache Licensed)
  * JaCoCo Core Library (EPL 1.0)
    The whole JaCoCo project uses other libraries distributed under
    different licenses, I need to make sure that the core is EPL 1.0 only

Areas to Improve:

  * There is no support for Ergonomy
  * Module versions might be incorrectly specified, I did the best I could
  * Add Groovy project support (could be trivial)
  * Improve Gradle <-> JDK incompatibility check.
  * Profiling
  * Compile on Save (that's an icy territory)
  * Improve project Settings
  * Whatever you think...

Future Works:

  * I also have a JavaEE support module started, I can donate somewhat
    later to the enterprise cluster.

Re: Maven 1st was: Gradle Support for Apache NetBeans

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Are those most in favor of ‘Maven 1st’ also going to pick up the task of
updating all the documentation to retlect this change?

Without that commitment, including an impact analysis on our documentation
and a timeline for updating it, I will veto this PR.

Gj

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Gradle Support for Apache NetBeans

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/18 6:46 PM, Scott Palmer wrote:
> +1  Great to see more support for Gradle.
>
> How does this plugin compare to the existing Gradle plugin?  Would it make sense to merge your efforts?
That is a good question. The two plugins have very different coding
styles. IMHO Attila's plugin does the NetBeans <-> Gradle communication
in a nicer way (though the generic idea is the same), mine, if I may say
so, is more seamless fit into the IDE.

> I would really like to see support for Gradle-based native C/C++ projects.
I can imagine that we could work out something when the C++ donation
gets released, Probably for NetBeans 12.0 (or whatever that version
number would be).

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for catching the external libraries issue. I've fixed them.
Issues/feedback are always welcome!

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Try with: ant -q -Dbinary.server=https://jcenter.bintray.com/

It seems maven central (our last resort to turn to when a binary is
missing) does not have the gradle tooling files. As I had it in my local
cache it got resolved from there.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
Very nice!  Great work Laszlo!  Looking forward to having support for Gradle as a first class citizen.

Josh Juneau
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Very cool, it'll be nice to have Gradle and Maven in NetBeans moving
forward.

From what I see, new frameworks seem to be coming out supporting Gradle, so

Posted by Javier Ortiz <ja...@gmail.com>.
This is the only missing piece for the stuff I use most. Right now this is
the only reason I still have 8.2 around.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,