Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ali El Gamal <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/29 12:30:16 UTC

HTTP Request Sampler - Regarding "Redirect Automatically" (May be a bug)

Hi every body,

I've built a JMeter Test plan that contains an HTTP Request the submits an
HTTPS request to a server in order to login. After checking the login
credentials, the server sends a redirect header to another page.

So, I have created an HTTP Request Sampler and I have specified the protocol
and the parameters.
I've also enabled the following feature of the sampler:
1- Redirect Automatically
2- Use KeepAlive
3- Retrieve All Embeded Resource from HTML Files

Here is what happens when I run the test:

1- The sampler send the HTTPS request and the server responds to the client
with a redirect message to another URL that contains an HTML
2- JMeter follows the redirect header and sends another HTTP Request to the
location specified by the server but it does NOT retrieve any embeded
resources.

Usually for testing, I put a "View Results Tree" Listener, when JMeter
retrieves embeded resources, I find these requests nested in the HTTP
Sampler that have sent the request to the containing HTML page. But, in the
previous test I saw the sampler containing 2 nodes, one for the https
request and another one for the redirected HTMLfile. But the HTML sampler
doesn't have any children. That's why I assumed that it didn't send requests
for embeded resources.

Is this the correct behavior?

Thanks,

Ali El Gamal

Re: HTTP Request Sampler - Regarding "Redirect Automatically" (May be a bug)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29/01/2008, Ali El Gamal <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi every body,
>
> I've built a JMeter Test plan that contains an HTTP Request the submits an
> HTTPS request to a server in order to login. After checking the login
> credentials, the server sends a redirect header to another page.
>
> So, I have created an HTTP Request Sampler and I have specified the protocol
> and the parameters.
> I've also enabled the following feature of the sampler:
> 1- Redirect Automatically
> 2- Use KeepAlive
> 3- Retrieve All Embeded Resource from HTML Files
>
> Here is what happens when I run the test:
>
> 1- The sampler send the HTTPS request and the server responds to the client
> with a redirect message to another URL that contains an HTML
> 2- JMeter follows the redirect header and sends another HTTP Request to the
> location specified by the server but it does NOT retrieve any embeded
> resources.
>
> Usually for testing, I put a "View Results Tree" Listener, when JMeter
> retrieves embeded resources, I find these requests nested in the HTTP
> Sampler that have sent the request to the containing HTML page. But, in the
> previous test I saw the sampler containing 2 nodes, one for the https
> request and another one for the redirected HTMLfile. But the HTML sampler
> doesn't have any children. That's why I assumed that it didn't send requests
> for embeded resources.

Yes, the View Results Tree should show the embedded resource requests
as child results.

> Is this the correct behavior?

I would have expected the embedded resources to be downloaded even
after a redirect.

Worth checking in case there are any errors reported in the JMeter log
file (jmeter.log by default)