Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Steve Rajavuori <St...@opin.com> on 2006/01/23 18:17:52 UTC

OutOfMemory during optimize

I am periodically getting "Too many open files" error when searching. Currently there are over 500 files in my Lucene directory. I am attempting to run optimize( ) to reduce the number of files. However, optimize never finishes because whenever I run it, it quits with a Java exception OutOfMemory error. I have tried using the -Xmx and -Xms switches to increase heap size, but that has not helped.

Any suggestions?

Steve Rajavuori
OPIN Systems

Voice: 651-994-6556
Fax:   651-994-7828

2600 Eagan Woods Dr., Suite 400
Eagan, MN  55121
800-888-1804
 <http://www.opin.com/> www.opin.com

Re: OutOfMemory during optimize

Posted by "Michael D. Curtin" <mi...@curtin.com>.
Steve Rajavuori wrote:
> I am periodically getting "Too many open files" error when searching. Currently there are over 500 files in my Lucene directory. I am attempting to run optimize( ) to reduce the number of files. However, optimize never finishes because whenever I run it, it quits with a Java exception OutOfMemory error. I have tried using the -Xmx and -Xms switches to increase heap size, but that has not helped.
>
> Any suggestions?

You could try reducing maxMergeDocs and mergeFactor.  Doing so increases
the time it takes to optimize, but reduces the amount of memory consumed.

Good luck!

--MDC

Boost value and LUKE

Posted by Don Vaillancourt <do...@webimpact.com>.
Hello All,

I am testing the boost value within the latest version of Lucene and I'm
inspecting the results through Luke.

For each FIELD that I want to boost I use the setBoost method.  And
everything looks good.  But Luke is refusing to exposure the boost value
and keeps returning 1.0 for the specified columns (well actually all
columns) when I have set one column to 0.5 and the other to 0.75.

1. Is there something I am doing wrong?
2. Is there a bug in Lucene?
3. is there a bug in Luke?

Anyone have any hints.

Thank You

--
Don Vaillancourt
Director of Software Development

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.

If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply
email and immediately delete this email.

Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the
intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation  made
that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.