Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/24 19:32:53 UTC

Monitor jobs by JobName if JobId is null

Hi all,

There is a chance that we will not get jobId after we submit a job to a
compute resoruce. In that case we can use JobName to monitor the Job using
email based monitor. I am going to do that fix on master, if there is no
jobId then we use JobName as the job monitor key.

Thanks,
Shameera.

--
Best Regards,
Shameera Rathnayaka.

Re: Monitor jobs by JobName if JobId is null

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Lahiru Ginnaliya Gamathige <
glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen this quite often, but this could be due to some network issue
> or an issue with JCraft or the way we use JCraft not really with the job
> manager not returning the jobId.

I too suspect it is something to do with JCraft or the way we handle
JCraft. (specifically if you get it "quite" often).

> We have no issues with this approach and I think its a good idea to start
> monitoring using the jobName(without waiting for jobId) incase we get some
> failure immediately after job is submitted to the resource. We have a
> handle to monitoring the job status.

Well, i dont quite understand how you monitor jobs without a handle (the
job id) to the submitted job when you dont have the job id.

Thanks
-Amila

Posted by Lahiru Ginnaliya Gamathige <gl...@gmail.com>.

--
Research Assistant
Science Gateways Group

Re: Monitor jobs by JobName if JobId is null

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Ginnaliya Gamathige <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sudhakar,

Of course if its an error we identify that from standard Error and make the
job fail but we have seen qsub and sbatch doesn't return jobId but job is
actually submitted and we can identify these by parsing the standard error.
If standard error is good and we got nothing in jobId we proceed and do the
monitoring (pull based monitoring) so thats why we are using jobName
instead of jobId.

Shameera, JobName is Airavata generated random value so it will be unique
like jobId and only good thing with jobName is we already know it and we
can avoid relying on the qsub or any other commands output to do the
monitoring.

Lahiru

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Pamidighantam, Sudhakar V <
spamidig@illinois.edu> wrote:

> If jobid is missing due to error job name will not work.
>
> Sudhakar.
>
> On Apr 24, 2015, at 12:32 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> There is a chance that we will not get jobId after we submit a job to a
> compute resoruce. In that case we can use JobName to monitor the Job using
> email based monitor. I am going to do that fix on master, if there is no
> jobId then we use JobName as the job monitor key.
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Shameera Rathnayaka.

Research Assistant
Science Gateways Group
Indiana University

Re: Monitor jobs by JobName if JobId is null

Posted by "Pamidighantam, Sudhakar V" <sp...@illinois.edu>.