Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by fenbers <Ma...@noaa.gov> on 2013/05/13 19:50:10 UTC

Wire Format Negotiation Timeout -- Say what??

I'm getting the error shown in the Subject, not at first, but after ActiveMQ
has been working just fine for several hours.  Then once it happens, all my
clients that interact with the broker reports this error.  I've found this
page:
http://activemq.apache.org/javaxjmsjmsexception-wire-format-negociation-timeout-peer-did-not-send-his-wire-format.html

But none of the 3 issues apply in my case.  Specifically, if the host:port
is incorrect, how does it work fine for several hours, then quit in the
middle of the night when no one is here?  And I'm not using log4j
JMSAppender.  And the broker is not under heavy load.  In fact, it is idle
right now and I still get the error.

It must be something else!  Anyone have ideas??  The entire error is
below...

Mark

ERROR 2013-05-13 12:08:58,802 [main] SendJMS.StatusProducer: Wire format
negotiation timeout: peer did not send his wire format.
javax.jms.JMSException: Wire format negotiation timeout: peer did not send
his wire format.
	at
org.apache.activemq.util.JMSExceptionSupport.create(JMSExceptionSupport.java:62)
	at
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.syncSendPacket(ActiveMQConnection.java:1409)
	at
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.ensureConnectionInfoSent(ActiveMQConnection.java:1496)
	at
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.createSession(ActiveMQConnection.java:325)
	at gov.noaa.ohrfc.SendJMS.StatusProducer.run(StatusProducer.java:92)
	at gov.noaa.ohrfc.SendJMS.SendJMS.main(SendJMS.java:79)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Wire format negotiation timeout: peer did
not send his wire format.
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.oneway(WireFormatNegotiator.java:98)
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.MutexTransport.oneway(MutexTransport.java:68)
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.ResponseCorrelator.asyncRequest(ResponseCorrelator.java:81)
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.ResponseCorrelator.request(ResponseCorrelator.java:86)
	at
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.syncSendPacket(ActiveMQConnection.java:1380)
	... 4 more

Re: Wire Format Negotiation Timeout -- Say what??

Posted by fenbers <Ma...@noaa.gov>.

    Thanks!&nbsp; I'm studying up on tcpdump's man page now (about 30 pages
    of technical details!).&nbsp; Wireshark isn't installed by default, so I
    put in a request to have it installed on Tuesday.&nbsp; I won't be back
    in until Thursday, so I'll resume my diagnostics then.

    The broker and client are on the same local network, and a
    traceroute takes 1.5 ms for just that one hop!&nbsp; That's a long time.&nbsp;
    Pinging is slow, too, as well as other indications of a slow
    network, possibly.&nbsp; So I think we're barking up the right tree, but
    tracking down the source of any network issues will be an arduous
    task!&nbsp; And then we'll have to fix it if we can find it...

    Mark

    On 5/13/2013 3:40 PM, ceposta [via
      ActiveMQ] wrote:

     You can use wireshark (or tcpdump) on the broker
      machine to see if the

      client's WireFormatInfo is coming through and whether the broker
      is sending

      one. Wireshark does have a built in activemq command codec so you
      can see

      the command objects going through. You can also try things like
      ping or

      traceroute to see if the client can get to the broker.

mark_fenbers.vcf (360 bytes) <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4666984/0/mark_fenbers.vcf>

Re: Wire Format Negotiation Timeout -- Say what??

Posted by fenbers <Ma...@noaa.gov>.

    I'm using 5.8.0
    Mark

    On 5/13/2013 8:29 PM, ceposta [via
      ActiveMQ] wrote:

     No, it's probably the same cost. But the cost is in
      establishing the

      underlying connection, not in creating the session. It just
      happens that if

      you haven't started the connection by the time you try to create
      the

      session, creating the session will set up the underlying
      connection data

      structures before creating a session. Which would explain what you
      were

      seeing.

      I would also be curious to understand why starting the connection
      before

      creating the session would get messages delivered. What version
      are you

      using?

mark_fenbers.vcf (360 bytes) <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4667003/0/mark_fenbers.vcf>

Re: Wire Format Negotiation Timeout -- Say what??

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM, fenbers <Ma...@noaa.gov> wrote:

>     Well, what happens when you "create a connection" but
>       don't start it, it
>
>       will open the transport and start wire format negotiation... when
>       you do
>
>       connection.start().. or when you try to open a session, it will
>       ensure that
>
>       the connection is properly constructed, which is the expensive
>       part. So
>
>       sessions by themselves are cheap enough as long as the
> &nbsp;connection
>       is up.
>

>     I typically:
>
>       create connection
>       create session
>       create producer/consumer
>       set producer/consumer options
>       start connection, which is the last thing before returning
>         from the run() method
>
>     I find that if I start the connection right after Step 1, then I
>       occasionally see errors complaining that a message was received
>       before a consumer was created.&nbsp; Starting my connection last
> seems
>       to resolve that problem.&nbsp; Are you saying that it is more
> expensive
>       to do this in my order (above) than it would be if I started my
>       connection right after Step 1??
>
>       Mark
>

> mark_fenbers.vcf (360 bytes) <
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4666998/0/mark_fenbers.vcf

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: Wire Format Negotiation Timeout -- Say what??

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Nice investigation!

>     In a well-tuned system/network, I would think that sending a
>     40-character text string to ActiveMQ would be nearly instantaneous
>     from a human's perspective, right?
>
> Yes, it should be super fast.

>     What I learned from this is that I can reduce the occurrences of the
>     error by increasing the amount of patience (e.g., 30 seconds) my
>     client app is to have, but I fear this may also cause some "bogging
>     down" side effects since each message attempt may take up to 30
>     seconds.&nbsp; I also learned that our networking issues may be more
>     acute than I realized.

Yah, increasing the inactivity could provide helpful, but finding the root
cause of network slowdown (firewall?? overloaded routers/switches?) would
be best especially if you can control it or fix it.

>     What else I learned is that a connection is established nearly
>     instantaneously, but creating the session is the part that often
>     takes more than 20 seconds (and fails if it takes more than
>     maxInactivityDurationInitialDelay).&nbsp; So if my network is slow, why
>     would the connection occur instantaneously, but the creation of the
>     session take so long??&nbsp; It's not the sending of the text string
> that
>     is the problem, but the creation of the session...&nbsp; Is there
>     something I can control that affects how long it takes to create a
>     session?&nbsp; Intuitively, I would have thought that the most
>     time-consuming part of sending the message is the actual sending of
>     the text string, not creating the session.&nbsp; Does this point to a
> bug
>     in ActiveMQ's createSession() method??

Well, what happens when you "create a connection" but don't start it, it
will open the transport and start wire format negotiation... when you do
connection.start().. or when you try to open a session, it will ensure that
the connection is properly constructed, which is the expensive part. So
sessions by themselves are cheap enough as long as the  connection is up.

Posted by fenbers <Ma...@noaa.gov>.

    OK, here's some useful info...&nbsp; I used:
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; tcpdump tcp port 61616 and host dell7

    I noticed that if I use:
    &nbsp;?wireFormat.maxInactivityDurationInitialDelay=30000
    in my client to extend the timeout to 30 seconds instead of the
    default 10 seconds, then my client (running on dell7) completes its
    message send without the "Wire Format Negotiation Timeout" error.&nbsp;
    So I ran it both ways (10 seconds and 30 seconds) and monitored the
    output from tcpdump in each case.&nbsp; When the error occurs, there is
    still two-way communication going on between the client and the
    broker, but the number of lines from tcpdump is much shorter
    (because a connection is made, but creating a session fails).&nbsp; When
    I extend the InactivityDelay to 30 seconds, and the client completes
    normally (but takes more than 20 seconds to send a 40-character text
    string), then the amount of tcpdump output increases by a factor of
    10!

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by fenbers <Ma...@noaa.gov>.

        &gt; http://activemq.apache.org/javaxjmsjmsexception-wire-format-negociation-timeout-peer-did-not-send-his-wire-format.html