Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Arjun <ar...@socialtwist.com> on 2014/02/26 09:41:07 UTC

memory requirement for kafka - how to estimate

Hi,

Can i know what all should i consider while calculating the memory
requirements for the kafka broker. I had tried to search on net about
this, but doulc not find nay. If anyone can please suggest or point to a
link that would be helpful.

Thanks
Arjun Narasimha Kota

Re: memory requirement for kafka - how to estimate

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone can give you exact numbers, but I think you'll find
Kafka brokers very light.  We run them on .... I think medium EC2 instances
and Kafka brokers they put hardly any strain on them.  If it helps give you
an idea, go to https://apps.sematext.com/demo and look for "SA.Prod.Kafka".
 That's one of our Kafka "clusters".  You'll see how many messages this
processes, what their size is, a bunch of other metrics, and then the JVM
Memory info, which I hope gives you some idea of the footprint.

Otis