Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/08 13:47:16 UTC

C++ can't get Calculator sample to run

I've tried following the instructions in the Calculator sample INSTALL doc
and get an error in a popup window saying:

This application has failed to start because axis2_engine.dll was not found

The output at the command prompt is:

C:\SCA\Dist\Cpp\tuscany_sca_cpp-
0.1.incubating-M1-bin\samples\Calculator\deploy\bin>runclient.cmd add 5 6
using Axis2C: C:\SCA\Dist\Cpp\axis2c-bin-0.92-win32"
using TUSCANY_SDOCPP: C:\SCA\Dist\Cpp\tuscany_sdo_cpp-0.1.incubating-M1-bin
using TUSCANY_SCACPP: C:\SCA\Dist\Cpp\tuscany_sca_cpp-0.1.incubating-M1-bin

I tried adding the Axis2 lib dir to the PATH and then get a different popup
window error saying:

The procedure entry point xmlTextReaderConstEncoding could not be located in
the dynamic link library libxml2.dll

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

   ...ant

Re: C++ can't get Calculator sample to run

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Note that the latest versions available in www.xmlsoft.org are not the ones
specified on the instructions... you need to go to "old versions" link and
download it.

I downloaded the windows binaries versions from :

zlib from : http://www.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/
libxml and iconv from : http://www.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/oldreleases

- Luciano

--
Regards

Luciano Resende

Re: C++ can't get Calculator sample to run

Posted by Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com>.
Possibly the fact that it says it cant find an entrypoint would indicate
that the libxml2 it is finding is not the right one, or maybe it cant find
iconv.dll which provides the encodings. I thought we didnt rely in encodings
yet, but maybe we do.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 10/07/06, Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Not sure I agree with that. The dlls appear in the bin directory - thats
> what is required on the PATH.

You are of course correct.

(Note to self: drink coffee before reading mail and replying)

Posted by Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com>.
Not sure I agree with that. The dlls appear in the bin directory - thats
what is required on the PATH.

Also, Im using libxml 2.6.19, I wonder if that makes a difference - you
wouldnt think so

Do you have iconv.dll on your path somewhere too?

cheers,
Ed.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

--
Pete

Re: C++ can't get Calculator sample to run

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards

Luciano Resende

Re: C++ can't get Calculator sample to run

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
Ant,

An issue with this approach is that Axis2C requires a set of libraries that
aren't Apache licenced (possibly they're GPL), which (I guess) is why Axis2C
itself doesn't bundle them.
Also, Linux systems vary hugely, some come with libxml2, zlib and iconv,
some come with the wrong versions and some don't have them at all - it would
be hard to manage all this complexity.
It would be possible to bundle everything and then have scripts to alter/set
the PATH, TUSCANY_SCA, TUSCANY_SDO and AXIS2C_HOME environment variables,
but a) I'm not sure if the effort would be worth it, b) there may be these
licensing issues and c) I personally feel that following some documented
instructions is not that nasty and helps users get a better feel for what
the system does and how to go further than just running the samples.

You're right that we should make trying Tuscany out as easy as possible & we
should always keep this in mind (of course, at some point in the learning
process the user has to read some documentation!)

Cheers
Andy

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
I'll be posting a Release Candidate 2 later today. Hopefully the doc will be
much improved and you can make some progress.

I don't think it is the c/c++ way to distribute things to include all the
pre-reqs. It's also not a good idea as we may ship an earlier version of a
pre-req than you already have installed.

Cheers,

--
Pete

Re: C++ can't get Calculator sample to run

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

--
Pete

Re: C++ can't get Calculator sample to run

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

--
Pete