Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org> on 2006/01/10 01:16:52 UTC

module naming question

  Hi Everyone,

  I'm a BIG fan of using custom Apache directives in MP2 and because
  of this I've written a wrapper into my personal libs that makes using
  them a bit easier than the strict API calls.  It isn't very fancy, but
  helps make the simple things simple.

  It's not quite ready to show off, but I plan on finishing it up in
  the next couple of weeks.

  What are the conventions on using the Apache2:: and ModPerl::
  namespaces? Or do you feel a module like this belong in another
  area like Config:: ?  I figured I would ask on here before taking it
  up on the module author list.

  I hope that by making it even easier to use more people will use them.

  Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Re: module naming question

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Frank Wiles wrote:
>   Yeah I thought that Apache2:: and ModPerl:: might be reserved for
>   core as well, but I'm glad I asked.
>
>   Ok next question.  It's safe to assume that the ModPerl:: space will
>   be for MP2 and future versions right, since it didn't exist in MP1?
>   What I have only works with MP2 and I don't want to put it in a space
>   where people will assume it will work with both.
Modperl:: or Apache2::
will work for this purpose.

A module in Apache:: works under httpd 1.x and MIGHT work under httpd 2.x

Had I been around a little earlier, I might have said use ModPerl2::

so that when mp3 comes around ModPerl3

is the natural extension --- but hey ... no biggie.

"Love is not the one you can picture yourself marrying,
but the one you can't picture the rest of your life without."

"I wanna hold ya till I die ... I wanna hold ya till the fear in me
subsides."

Re: module naming question

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:47:36 -0500
Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> wrote:

> Frank Wiles wrote:
> >   Ok next question.  It's safe to assume that the ModPerl:: space
> > will be for MP2 and future versions right, since it didn't exist in
> > MP1? What I have only works with MP2 and I don't want to put it in
> > a space where people will assume it will work with both.
>
> There are no mp1 modules in the ModPerl:: namespace, but you have to
> be pretty familiar with the project already to know that.  I
> recommend you put a note in your POD saying that the module does not
> support mp1, in case someone stumbles on it while searching CPAN.

  Yeah I was planning on doing that, but I just wanted to make sure
  there wasn't anything in ModPerl:: that already supported mp1 that
  would make it even more confusing.  Thanks for the help everyone!

Re: module naming question

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Frank Wiles wrote:
>   Ok next question.  It's safe to assume that the ModPerl:: space will
>   be for MP2 and future versions right, since it didn't exist in MP1?
>   What I have only works with MP2 and I don't want to put it in a space
>   where people will assume it will work with both.

There are no mp1 modules in the ModPerl:: namespace, but you have to be
pretty familiar with the project already to know that.  I recommend you
put a note in your POD saying that the module does not support mp1, in
case someone stumbles on it while searching CPAN.

- Perrin

Re: module naming question

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

Re: module naming question