Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Jay Hacker <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/15 22:45:34 UTC

Looking up two fields in a relation with another relation

I'm trying to replace a couple of fields in a relation with values
looked up in another relation.  Here's an example; let's say I have a
relation mapping each integer to its square:

-----map.txt-----
1    1
2    4
3    9
4    16
5    25

Then I have some data, let's call the columns a and b:

-----data.txt-----
1    2
3    4
5    2

I want to replace each number in the data with its square.  My basic
approach is to join 'a' with the key, then generate the value; then
join 'b' with the key, and generate that value. Here's my pig script:

m = load 'map.txt' as (k,v);
data = load 'data.txt' as (a,b);
x = join m by k, data by a;
y = foreach x generate v as aa, b;
z = join m by k, y by b;
w = foreach z generate aa, v as bb;
dump w;

This outputs:

(4,4)
(4,4)
(16,16)

The problem is it y's version of v gets replaced with w's version.  I
expect it to output:

(1, 4)
(9, 16)
(25, 4)

What's weird is I'm pretty sure this used to work in Pig 0.7.  If
there's a better way to do this (using maps?), please let me know.
I'm using Pig 0.8 with Cloudera CDH3b4.

Thanks.

Re: Looking up two fields in a relation with another relation

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Daniel,

   I did test to see see that it was fixed, and the description (as in
the jira) did not directly seem to apply to this issue (when I did a
cursory search) - hence the query.
Since the columns were getting re-aliased (and after a join in one
case), I was not expecting initial aliases to apply.

Thanks for clarifying !

Regards,
Mridul

Posted by Daniel Dai <ji...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi, Mridul,

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dai <ji...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dai <ji...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I believe it is PIG-1705.

Daniel

On 04/18/2011 12:02 PM, Jay Hacker wrote:
> Thanks.  Which Jira issue number is it?
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Daniel Dai<ji...@yahoo-inc.com>  wrote:
>> This is a known bug, it is fixed on 0.8 svn. You can check out from
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pig/branches/branch-0.8, or wait for 0.8.1
>> coming in a few days.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On 04/15/2011 01:45 PM, Jay Hacker wrote:
>>> I'm trying to replace a couple of fields in a relation with values
>>> looked up in another relation.  Here's an example; let's say I have a
>>> relation mapping each integer to its square:
>>>
>>> -----map.txt-----
>>> 1    1
>>> 2    4
>>> 3    9
>>> 4    16
>>> 5    25
>>>
>>> Then I have some data, let's call the columns a and b:
>>>
>>> -----data.txt-----
>>> 1    2
>>> 3    4
>>> 5    2
>>>
>>> I want to replace each number in the data with its square.  My basic
>>> approach is to join 'a' with the key, then generate the value; then
>>> join 'b' with the key, and generate that value. Here's my pig script:
>>>
>>> m = load 'map.txt' as (k,v);
>>> data = load 'data.txt' as (a,b);
>>> x = join m by k, data by a;
>>> y = foreach x generate v as aa, b;