Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/16 22:07:29 UTC

ApiXmlDocReader.java - Used by anyone???

Hey All,
Does anyone know if this class [1] is being used anywhere (other than by
Pierre-Luc to create the release notes [2]).

The reason I ask is because I know Pierre-Luc spends a lot of time every
release manually changing the formatting from what is [3] output to RST
format so it can be displayed.

I have already built a parser to generate the 'fixed issues' piece [5] of
the release notes (will be open sourced soon).

If PL is the only person using this class I will either:
a) Modify the class to output the details in an RST format so the output
can be directly pasted into the release notes.
b) Modify the class to output structured JSON so the data can be easily
consumed by parsers.  I would then write a small script to parse the JSON
and output the RST format for the RN.

I would lean towards b) so the Java code would not have to be modified if
we changed the format of the docs to another format (like Markdown for
example).

Worst case scenario, I will just write a parser that takes that meh layout
and output a RST table for the RNs.

Thanks,

Will

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/server/src/com/cloud/api/doc/ApiXmlDocReader.java
[2] https://github.com/pdion891/acs-api-commands
[3]
https://github.com/pdion891/acs-api-commands/blob/master/diff-470-480/diff.txt
[4]
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/cloudstack-docs-rn/master/source/api-changes.rst
[5]
https://objects-east.cloud.ca/v1/5ef827605f884961b94881e928e7a250/swill/rn.png

Re: ApiXmlDocReader.java - Used by anyone???

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org>.
I dont know how but, I think marvin depends on it to generate command
objects for the apis.

Here is a doc from CodeGenerator.py

Apache CloudStack- marvin python classes can be generated from the json
returned by API discovery or from the xml spec of commands generated by
the ApiDocWriter. This class provides helper methods for these uses.

~Rajani

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.
Ya. This what I was expecting. Just in case someone is, I may just add an
additional output type. It currently generates a diff.txt file. I will
likely not change that, but have it also output a diff.js file which
includes the same data as a json object.

Thanks.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ