Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Timothy Mcginnis <tm...@aessuccess.org> on 2010/08/24 20:41:54 UTC

Using Subversion and Maven

I am moving our dev team from CVS to Subversion and started testing Maven
with Subversion.  I am getting the error "'svn' is not recognized as an
internal or external command".  From what I can find on google I actually
need to have svn installed separately from Maven.  Is this correct?

Tim McGinnis
717 720-1962
Web Development
AES/PHEAA
This message contains privileged and confidential information intended for the above addressees only.  If you
receive this message in error please delete or destroy this message and/or attachments.

The sender of this message will fully cooperate in the civil and criminal prosecution of any individual engaging
in the unauthorized use of this message.

Re: Using Subversion and Maven

Posted by Timothy Mcginnis <tm...@aessuccess.org>.
Well, I probably should have posted this in the M2Eclipse list (which I
have done since then).  Previously when using cvs it just used the client
in Eclipse, but when I tried to do the same with subversion it gave me
this error.

Tim McGinnis
717 720-1962
Web Development
AES/PHEAA

From:
"Wayne Fay" <wa...@gmail.com>
To:
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
08/24/2010 03:04 PM
Re: Using Subversion and Maven

> with Subversion.  I am getting the error "'svn' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command".  From what I can find on google I
actually
> need to have svn installed separately from Maven.  Is this correct?

Yes.

What causes you to assume anything else? Is there some documentation
that should be updated or fixed? I've seen this question multiple
times on this list.

Wayne

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.
It depends on actual pom.xml. Some Maven plugins operate with Subversion
through 'svn' comannd line, for example buildnumber-maven-plugin (my
favorite) is called during each build and it emits errors like this if
there is no svn client installed.

Martin Schayna

Posted by Timothy Mcginnis <tm...@aessuccess.org>.
I mis-spoke when I said "it just used the client in Eclipse".  I think cvs
uses a client packaged with one of the maven-scm-provider-cvs-??? jars.
Although I have not looked into the source code to verify this.

I just assumed the subversion provider would do the same.  Seems like it
doesn't due to a licensing issue from what someone else said.

Tim McGinnis
717 720-1962
Web Development
AES/PHEAA

From:
"Nicola Musatti" <Ni...@ObjectWay.it>
To:
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
08/25/2010 05:04 AM

Timothy Mcginnis wrote:
> Well, I probably should have posted this in the M2Eclipse list (which I
> have done since then).  Previously when using cvs it just used the
client
> in Eclipse, but when I tried to do the same with subversion it gave me
> this error.
>
> Tim McGinnis
> 717 720-1962
> Web Development
> AES/PHEAA
>

> From:
> "Wayne Fay"<wa...@gmail.com>
> To:
> "Maven Users List"<us...@maven.apache.org>
> Date:
> 08/24/2010 03:04 PM
> Re: Using Subversion and Maven
>

>> with Subversion.  I am getting the error "'svn' is not recognized as an
>> internal or external command".  From what I can find on google I
>>
> actually
>
>> need to have svn installed separately from Maven.  Is this correct?
>>
> Yes.
>
> What causes you to assume anything else? Is there some documentation
> that should be updated or fixed? I've seen this question multiple
> times on this list.
>
> Wayne

> This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
for the above addressees only.  If you
> receive this message in error please delete or destroy this message
and/or attachments.

> The sender of this message will fully cooperate in the civil and
criminal prosecution of any individual engaging
> in the unauthorized use of this message.

Chi riceve il presente messaggio e' tenuto a verificare se lo stesso non
gli
sia pervenuto per errore. In tal caso e' pregato di avvisare
immediatamente
il mittente e, tenuto conto delle responsabilita' connesse all'indebito
utilizzo e/o divulgazione del messaggio e/o delle informazioni in esso
contenute, voglia cancellare l'originale e distruggere le varie copie o
stampe.

The receiver of this message is required to check if he/she has received
it
erroneously. If so, the receiver is requested to immediately inform the
sender and - in consideration of the responsibilities arising from undue
use
and/or disclosure of the message and/or the information contained therein
-
destroy the original message and any copy or printout thereof.

Posted by Nicola Musatti <Ni...@ObjectWay.it>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Timothy Mcginnis
<tm...@aessuccess.org> wrote:
> I am moving our dev team from CVS to Subversion and started testing Maven
> with Subversion.  I am getting the error "'svn' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command".  From what I can find on google I actually
> need to have svn installed separately from Maven.  Is this correct?

Yes, you need a command line Subversion client installed and available
on the PATH.

(Depending on what you're doing, there may be a way to use a
Java-based client, but IIRC the license doesn't permit that to be the
default.)

If you need more help, post the command you're trying to run and the
error message.  Adding -X on the command line will make it spit out
more info about exactly what it's trying to do.

--
Wendy