Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tom Klaasen <to...@pandora.be> on 2002/08/26 15:09:16 UTC

Editable/non-editable fields

Hi all,

It's been some time, but it seems I'm back :)

I'm currently working on a project where lots of forms are used. The forms are backed up by a DB. Somewhere in the DB, there is a table which tells me which fields should be editable and which shouldn't (they should only be displayed).

Until now, we were looking in the db manually, and changing tags if some field changed from editable to non-editable.

We want to change that: let our application look in the db and decide whether the current property should be editable or not.

I've already implemented this for html:text fields (which was fairly trivial), but now I want to do this for html:select fields also. This seems to be less trivial to say the least.

I just looked around on the net and found http://struts.application-servers.com, but it seems to be too restricting in terms of layout and granularity.

Does anybody has any pointers on solutions for editable/non-editable fields? Basically I want one tag that can decide whether it's editable or not (based on business logic that I provide). Eg a text tag that is editable would generate the same output as html:text, if it's not editable it would be a bean:write followed by a html:hidden.

(I've used struts some months ago, and I'm not totally up to speed with its recent developments, so please forgive me if this is a trivial question.)

Any pointers are appreciated!

Thanks,
tomK