Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Matthieu Riou <mr...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/31 16:37:53 UTC

[FeedParser] Retrieving feeds incrementally

Hi,

I was checking out FeedParser and was pretty happy with its API.
However I was also looking for something that would keep on checking
the feed regularly and notify me if any new element has been posted.
Is this out of FeedParser's scope?

I'd like to implement a "server-side" aggregator that would, for
example, check a feed every 5mn and persist any new article, working
in an incremental way.

Thanks for any help,

Matthieu Riou.

Re: [FeedParser] Retrieving feeds incrementally

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <Em...@eurodyn.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <mr...@gmail.com>.
Actually my problem isn't scheduling the updates, which isn't that
hard, it's more calculating the 'diff' between each check to receive
only the entries that have been updated since my last check.

The behaviour I'd like is the following (which I think is probably
what most aggregator do) :

1. Connect to a RSS feed.
2. I get all entries in the feed.
3. Connect again 5mn later.
4. I only get the entries that have been added in the last 5mn, not
the whole feed.

Of course this suppose some mechanism of 'caching' of the past feed
retrievals and also a basic diff tool that would say which entries
have been added. ROME has a submodule (Fetcher) that does something
like this but I like FeedParser's event model.

My question was whether something like this had already been
implemented in FeedParser that wasn't documented yet for example but I
guess there isn't :)

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <Em...@eurodyn.com>.