Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2021/12/12 22:23:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] Immediate dedicated Flink releases for log4j vulnerability

Hi all!

Without doubt, you heard about the log4j vulnerability [1].

There is an advisory blog post on how to mitigate this in Apache Flink [2],
which involves setting a config option and restarting the processes. That
is fortunately a relatively simple fix.

Despite this workaround, I think we should do an immediate release with the
updated dependency. Meaning not waiting for the next bug fix releases
coming in a few weeks, but releasing asap.
The mood I perceive in the industry is pretty much panicky over this, and I
expect we will see many requests for a patched release and many discussions
why the workaround alone would not be enough due to certain guidelines.

I suggest that we preempt those discussions and create releases the
following way:

  - we take the latest already released versions from each release branch:
     ==> 1.14.0, 1.13.3, 1.12.5, 1.11.4
  - we add a single commit to those that just updates the log4j dependency
  - we release those as 1.14.1, 1.13.4, 1.12.6, 1.11.5, etc.
  - that way we don't need to do functional release tests, because the
released code is identical to the previous release, except for the log4j
dependency
  - we can then continue the work on the upcoming bugfix releases as
planned, without high pressure

I would suggest creating those RCs immediately and release them with a
special voting period (24h or so).

WDYT?

Best,
Stephan

[1] https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-44228
[2] https://flink.apache.org/2021/12/10/log4j-cve.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Immediate dedicated Flink releases for log4j vulnerability

Posted by Prasanna kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
It would be good if docker images are released too .

Prasanna.

Posted by Jing Zhang <be...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the quick release.

Posted by Ada Luna <gf...@gmail.com>.
+1
I need 1.12.6, thanks

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com>.
+1

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Yuan Mei <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1 for quick release.

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasanna kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kyle Bendickson <ky...@tabular.io>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
I will start preparing the release candidates.