Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Joe San <co...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/23 08:10:37 UTC

Exposing Kafka Topic to External Parties

Dear Kafka Users,

Would you consider it a good practice to expose the Kafka topic directly to
a 3rd party application? While doing this, I need to satisfy the following:

1. I will have say 10 topics and I would need to make sure that only
authorized parties are able to write into the Topic

2. If I use certificates (2 way trust), would this mean that when I add new
broker nodes, I need to make sure that the new certificates are shared with
all the 3rd parties and their certificates being installed on my new broker
node?

3. Since I'm exposing my topic directly, a naughty 3rd party could play
around and might eventually case a DoS attack?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Exposing Kafka Topic to External Parties

Posted by Joe San <co...@gmail.com>.
So is it in general a good idea to ask my clients who are out of my IT
infrastructure to directly write to my Topic? I'm seeing this as an
anti-pattern. What do you guys think?

Posted by Samuel Taylor <st...@square-root.com>.
Hi Joe,