Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2015/10/21 20:58:11 UTC

Abandoning Servlet 2.3 support?

We will need to call some Servlet 2.4 API-s, and I can solve it
reflection and such, and by complication the build.xml a bit further.
I just wonder if it worths it. Here's a bit of Servlet history:

Servlet 2.3     August 2001     J2EE 1.3, J2SE 1.2 JSP 1.2
Servlet 2.4     November 2003   J2EE 1.4, J2SE 1.3 JSP 2.0
Servlet 2.5     September 2005  JavaEE 5, JavaSE 5 JSP 2.1

2.3.24 has already raised minimum Java version to 5, and minimum JSP
version to 2.0 (that's the pair of Servlet 2.4). These had to be done,
pretty much. Requiring 2.4 is not a must have, but I wonder if keeping
it worths the complication...

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Abandoning Servlet 2.3 support?

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
+1 on abandoning Servlet 2.3 support.
I haven't seen a customer who wants to keep Servlet 2.3 compatible
container for more than 7 years at least.

Regards,

Woonsan

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
That makes some sense I guess. Spring 3.2 isn’t scheduled to be EOL until the end of 2016.

That said, you could easily create a branch if you wanted to for any support required for that.  But not having looked at the code yet I have no idea whether that is necessary. I know we had very compelling reasons to jump up to Java 7 for Log4j.

Ralph

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.