Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Allen Charles - callen <Ch...@acxiom.com> on 2013/10/01 20:43:39 UTC

Spark and mesos cluster utilization

The dynamic cluster capabilities of mesos are pretty neat, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to utilize it to its fullest. As a simple example, if I have a cluster with 4 machines as follows:

Two machines with 8GB ram
Two machines with 64GB ram

And I want to run a spark job which capitalizes as much of the cluster as possible, I can easily run the job with either executor memory less than 8GB and lose out on the ran on the 64G machine, or run it with a larger executor memory and completely ignore the 8GB machines.

Is there a way to either:
A) Run spark executors with memory appropriate for each mesos slave.
B) Run multiple spark executors on the larger nodes (with a smaller memory footprint each).

?

Thanks,
Charles Allen
privileged.