Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joe Hertz <jh...@patriot.net> on 2004/02/04 18:59:37 UTC

RE: [OT] Looking for junior Java/Struts developers

> Herndon is a pretty sweet place.  I used to work in Reston,
> actually on the top floor at Reston Town Center, and that
> area is tops.  It sure does beat this place that I'm at now,
> hands down!  A salary of $50K would be pretty meager living
> though, especially in that area.  You'd most likely have to
> live elsewhere and commute.

I grew up in Reston (and you've made me nauseous by calling it "tops!" tyvm :-
). I mean, any place that has zoning laws telling you you cannot paint your
house the color you want, can fine you for not mowing your lawn, has outlawed
street lights and tells McDonalds it cannot have Golden Arches, and that
Convience Stores must not face the roads (all in the name of keeping property
values up), it a little bit up uptight for me.

Anyway, I live in the area still. To give people an idea of price points:

Fairfax County VA is a Washington DC suburb and has gone through a huge
population growth in the last few years. Something like 1/9 of all the people
in the entire state live there. Fairfax is ranked like #3 in the US for
median family income, and has housing prices to match. It's no San Francisco,
but still pricy. Rent on a nice single family home costing $2000 a month is
probably only a little on the pricy side for the area, and certainly isn't
outrageous by local standards.

What's affordable in the area? Money Magazine recently rated Sugarland Run, a
community about 10 miles away in Sterling, VA as being one of the best places
to live in the US because it had good schools (by US stds), near Civil War
landmarks, more or less reasonable housing prices for the area, and proximity
to good employment. TownHomes in this community run about 150-170K, Single
Family Homes push 300K and thats after a *significant* run-up in the last few
years.

On the plus side, you can by a Camry for the low $20K range I believe, and
gas (like all places in the states is cheap) cost me $1.69/gal for regular
the other day.

RE: [OT] Looking for junior Java/Struts developers

Posted by Andy Engle <st...@andyengle.com>.
Joe Hertz <jh...@patriot.net> wrote:

> I grew up in Reston (and you've made me nauseous by calling it
> "tops!" tyvm :-). I mean, any place that has zoning laws telling you
> you cannot paint your house the color you want, can fine you for not
> mowing your lawn, has outlawed street lights and tells McDonalds it
> cannot have Golden Arches, and that Convience Stores must not face
> the roads (all in the name of keeping property values up), it a
> little bit up uptight for me.

Oh I didn't live there, I just worked there.  I lived in Frederick
County, Maryland, which was quite a bit better of a place to live than
in Reston.  I agree, those laws are quite a bit uptight -- no place
should have obnoxious zoning like that.  But the area is pretty clean,
seems to not have much of a crime rate, and has decent roads and places
to eat.  A good place to work, but I'd live in Frederick, MD any day
over Reston.

Andy