Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2010/04/19 17:07:01 UTC

first rev of 10.6 release notes now ready for review

Please review the 10.6 release notes. You can browse them here:
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES.html?view=co

Please let me know how I can improve the release notes. In particular:

1) Are there missing features which we should describe in the "New
Features" section?

2) Are there fixed bugs which don't appear in the "Bug Fixes" section?
If so, please first try to understand why those bugs don't appear in the
filter which I used to create this list:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12314104

3) Are there bugs which need detailed release notes? If so, please first
try to understand why those bugs don't appear in the filter which I used
to create that list:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12314103

4) Are there other problems with the release notes?

I would like to compile a list of defects by 5:00 pm San Francisco time
on Wednesday April 21. On Thursday morning I will regenerate the release
notes for a second review.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: first rev of 10.6 release notes now ready for review

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Thanks, Kim. This is something which the release notes generator should
handle. I will look into this.

Thanks,
-Rick

Posted by Kim Haase <ca...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Thanks for these helpful comments, Knut. Some responses inline...

Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> The release notes look fine to me. Thanks for putting them together!
> Some minor comments below.
>

>> 2) Are there fixed bugs which don't appear in the "Bug Fixes" section?
>> If so, please first try to understand why those bugs don't appear in the
>> filter which I used to create this list:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12314104
>>

> This filter lists all resolved and closed bugs, including invalid bug
> reports and duplicates. Would the list be more accurate if we filtered
> on Resolution=Fixed instead of Status=(Resolved or Closed)?

I'll try that.

>> 4) Are there other problems with the release notes?
>>

> - Under New Features, CROSS JOIN, it says "See features F401-04 of the
> SQL Standard". It should be "feature" (singular) since F401-04 refers to
> sub-feature 04 (CROSS JOIN) of feature F401 (Extended joined table).

Thanks.
> - The summaries of the notes for DERBY-4312 and DERBY-4191 contain
> details that would be better moved to the symptoms and incompatibilities
> sections. If we could make the summaries one-liners, the short list on
> top might become more readable.

I'll edit those notes.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Rick,