Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com> on 2019/01/22 15:31:00 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Removal of CacheURL DS Field from ATC

If a deprecation notice would be needed, that's ok.  I would assume regardless there would need to be consensus first.  Then I can add this email thread to the ticket so we remember down the road.

Jonathan G

On 1/18/19, 1:41 PM, "Rawlin Peters" <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

    +1. The raw remap line sounds like a reasonable workaround for people
    still on ATS 6. That said, stuff like this typically requires a
    deprecation notice before removal.

    - Rawlin

Posted by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com>.
It was a little fuzzy because removal of field doesn't necessarily remove the functionality.  I went with normal deprecation policy of 1 major rev because it does entail a significant operational cost to be paid (which should motivate you to jump to cachekey anyway).  Also in terms of sequence of operations I wanted to have the issue open first so I could have the mailing list discussion and deprecation notice PR linked into the issue so someday a developer is empowered to actually do the work.

Jonathan G

On 1/31/19, 10:30 AM, "Rawlin Peters" <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Good point, Chris. I think deprecation notices should be placed in
    CHANGELOG.md. As a project we need to start getting better at updating
    the changelog with any significant changes that have been made
    (including deprecation notices), because it should really be the
    project's main entrypoint for anyone wanting to know what's changed
    and should link to more detailed information in the docs where needed.

    That said, it looks like Jonathan already added this deprecation
    notice to CHANGELOG.md. Thanks, Jonathan!

    - Rawlin

Posted by Rawlin Peters <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Lemmons <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com>.

Posted by Rawlin Peters <ra...@gmail.com>.
It's been a week and no one has -1'd yet, so I think it's safe to say
an informal "lazy consensus" has been achieved. Anyone who wants to
take on that work should be able to do so freely.

- Rawlin