Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/06/02 02:59:42 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Navigating the ASF Incubator Process 1.0 (incubating) RC2

Hi,

This is a call for a releasing Apache Training Navigating the ASF Incubator Process 1.0 (incubating), release candidate 2.

The source artefact, including signatures and hashes can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/training/ApacheWay/NavigatingASFIncubation/1.0_rc2/

The tag to be voted upon is NavigatingASFIncubation1.0_rc2:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-training/tree/NavigatingASFIncubation1.0_rc2
The release hash is b719c7d5cb96aee0e213b68a5e758809fc02e619

The KEYS file is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/training/KEYS/

There’s a release checklist here [1], that might be helpful in checking the release.

The vote will be open for a minimum of 72 hours and until we have a result. Don’t forget you can change your vote after you have voted and 3 +1 votes are needed (and more +1s than -1s) before we’ll ask the IPMC to vote on this release.

[ ] +1 release this package
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 do not release this package because...

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/Incubator+Release+Checklist

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Navigating the ASF Incubator Process 1.0 (incubating) RC2

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Please disregard question 2. from my previous email, I was just not reading
the docs carefully enough :(

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> BTW, we're voting in the discussion thread. Should we cast votes in the
> vote thread, as well?

We’re actually discussing in the Vote thread but never mind. There's 3 +1 vote here so all is good. I’ll put it up for vote at the IPMC tomorrow.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Navigating the ASF Incubator Process 1.0 (incubating) RC2

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.
Ok, thanks for explaining. If it seems ok to keep placeholders there, it is
also Ok from my perspective.

сб, 8 июн. 2019 г. в 09:13, Sönke Liebau <soenke.liebau@opencore.com.invalid

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Hi Justin,

Re: [REULT][VOTE] Release Apache Navigating the ASF Incubator Process 1.0 (incubating) RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Ah, I saw src when downloading the rc and assumed was code/things from
> git.  That's a facepalm: didn't look close enough.

The contents of the release are from git but it just a subset of it not all of it.

> It also just clicked now the important of the voting process (after what is
> probably way too long of time!).  Releases constitute public facing and
> overall project approved version.

Yep :-)

>  What is in git only had to pass whatever permissions needed from the bar to permit the commit.

Also could possibly contain all sorts of unknown licensing or IP issue.

Posted by Austin Bennett <au...@apache.org>.
Ah, I saw src when downloading the rc and assumed was code/things from
git.  That's a facepalm: didn't look close enough.

It also just clicked now the important of the voting process (after what is
probably way too long of time!).  Releases constitute public facing and
overall project approved version.  What is in git only had to pass whatever
permissions needed from the bar to permit the commit.  Weirdly feels like
an epiphany... :-)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Austin Bennett <au...@apache.org>.
I have followed the thread/vote, but it seems strange to think of their
being 'releases' for an aggregate of these artifacts.  It will probably
take a moment for me to wrap head around; otherwise, yes, all good.  Hooray
for first step of passing vote!

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 8, 2019, 02:07 Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > 1. in NOTICE there is a sentence that mentions that this content was
> > originally developed by you. Is that legally required to be there?
>
> It’s required by ASF policy yes. The original copyright notices were
> replaces with ASF ones and in that case you need to add the copyright to
> NOTICE. [1] (also [2] where it mentions relocated copyrights)

Ah, so I need to do the same for the Zookeeper stuff then I guess.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> "If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it,
> the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
> a) remove such notices, or
> b) move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable project
> release, or
> c) provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
> relocation of the notices."
>
> So if you had chosen to do so you could have just removed the copyright
> notice.

Yep that’s also an option, most projects I worked with (including incubating projects) have selected b). You see a copyright line from original IP owner in most NOTICE files.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Navigating the ASF Incubator Process 1.0 (incubating) RC2

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 2:07 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > 1. in NOTICE there is a sentence that mentions that this content was
> > originally developed by you. Is that legally required to be there?
>
> It’s required by ASF policy yes. The original copyright notices were
> replaces with ASF ones and in that case you need to add the copyright to
> NOTICE. [1] (also [2] where it mentions relocated copyrights)

I read this different. In your link [1] it says:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitriy,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I have only one remark. Generated slides in
> /apache-training-navigating-ASF-incubation-1.0-incubating/target/generated-slides/index.html
> contain
> The first slide contains:
> ```Your Name
> Your Job title
> Your email```
>
> The second slide contains
> ```Who am I?
> TODO Fill in your own your info here```

It also mentioned in the README, it’s place holder for people to put something about themselves.

> One from the next slide contains
> ```Ensure that decision making is done in the open``` <- Phrase seems to be
> incomplete.

Reads OK to me.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Navigating the ASF Incubator Process 1.0 (incubating) RC2

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me: +1

I get a warning when building:

[WARNING]
[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model
for org.apache.training:navigating-ASF-incubation:war:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.(groupId:artifactId)' must be unique but
found duplicate declaration of plugin
com.coderplus.maven.plugins:copy-rename-maven-plugin @ line 304, column 21
[WARNING]
[WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they
threaten the stability of your build.
[WARNING]
[WARNING] For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support
building such malformed projects.
[WARNING]

but that's not a blocker for a release.

The only comment I have (but the +1 stands) is that this is a 1.0.0 release
(with which I'm fine as well), I'm just not sure if patch & maintenance
releases make much sense for content. I think releasing it as 1, 2, 3, etc.
would be fine as well.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

can we extend the timeframe for voting?

I could check this release but I need more time since I'm new to this.
Usually, I check RCs by doing minimal testing, but I'd like to learn how
PMCs should check releases.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.