Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/02/24 02:22:17 UTC

[ANN] Struts 2.0.6 GA release available

The Apache Struts group is pleased to announce that Struts 2.0.6 is
available as a "General Availability" release. The GA designation is
our highest quality grade.

Apache Struts 2 is an elegant, extensible framework for creating
enterprise-ready Java web applications. The framework is designed to
streamline the full development cycle, from building, to deploying, to
maintaining applications over time.

Apache Struts 2 was originally known as WebWork 2. After working
independently for several years, the WebWork and Struts communities
joined forces to create Struts2. This new version of Struts is simpler
to use and closer to how Struts was always meant to be.

* Build!
  o Easy startup - Jumpstart new projects with our bootstrap tutorial
and template application or Maven archetype.
  o Improved Design - Code clean against HTTP-independent framework interfaces.
  o Enhanced Tags - Code less with stylesheet-driven form tags that
provide their own markup.
  o Stateful Checkboxes - Avoid special handling with smart checkboxes
that know when they are toggled.
  o Flexible Cancel Buttons - Go directly to a different action on cancel.
  o First-class AJAX support - Add interactivity and flexibility with
AJAX tags that look and feel just like standard Struts tags.
  o Easy Spring integration - Inject dependencies into Actions using
Spring without glue code or red tape. (Plexus support also available.)
  o Enhanced Results - Do more with specialty results for
JasperReports, JFreeChart, Action chaining, and file downloading.
  o POJO forms - No more ActionForms! Use any JavaBean to capture form
input or put properties directly on an Action class. Use both binary
and String properties!
  o POJO Actions - Use any class as an Action class -- even the
interface is optional!

* Deploy!
  o Easy plugins - Add framework extensions by dropping in a JAR. No
manual configuration required! Bundled plugins add support for
JavaServer Faces, JasperReports, JFreeChart, Tiles, and more ...
  o Integrated profiling - Peek inside Struts2 to find where the
cycles are going!
  o Precise Error Reporting - Flip directly to the location and line
of an error.

* Maintain!
  o Easy-to-test Actions - Test Struts2 Actions directly, without
resorting to mock HTTP objects.
  o Intelligent Defaults - Skip obvious and redundant settings. Most
framework configuration elements have a default value that we can set
and forget. Say it once!
  o Easy-to-customize controller - Customize the request handling per
action, if desired. Struts2 only does what you want it to do!
  o Integrating Debugging - Research problem reports with built-in
debugging tools.
  o Easy-to-tweak tags - Customize tag markup by editing a FreeMarker
template. No need to grok the taglib API! JSP, FreeMarker, and
Velocity tags are fully supported.

Struts 2.0.6 is available in a full distribution, or as separate
library, source, example and documentation distributions.

 *  http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi#struts2006

The release is also available through the central Maven repository
under Group ID "org.apache.struts".

The 2.0.6 series of the Apache Struts framework has a minimum
requirement of the following specification versions:

 *  Servlet API 2.4
 * JSP API 2.0
 * Java 5

The release notes are available online at:

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/release-notes-206.html

Should any issues arise with your use of any version of the Struts
framework, please post your comments to the user list, and, if
appropriate, file a ticket with JIRA.

-- The Apache Struts group.

Re: [S2] [ANN] Struts 2.0.6 GA release available

Posted by walidito <wa...@sgcib.com>.
Congratulations !!

Posted by Pedro Herrera <pe...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [ANN] Struts 2.0.6 GA release available

Posted by Ivo Limmen <iv...@gmail.com>.
I have been looking forward to this release. I have been using Struts 2 very
short but I am very stunned by it's power thus far. My congratulations to
all!

Ivo

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Congratulations to everyone on Struts for this release!! I am glad we
have assembled such a great team over the past year -- it has truly been
revolutionary for the community. Best wishes on 2.x.

Posted by Vinny <xa...@gmail.com>.
Congrats!

Ghetto Java: http://www.ghettojava.com

Re: [ANN] Struts 2.0.6 GA release available

Posted by Mark Menard <ma...@mjm.net>.
On 2/23/07 8:22 PM, "Ted Husted" <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Apache Struts group is pleased to announce that Struts 2.0.6 is
> available as a "General Availability" release. The GA designation is
> our highest quality grade.

Congratulations to all! I have been happily using S2 since 2.0.1. It's been
a pleasure.

Mark