Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com> on 2020/12/02 04:56:37 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding CODEOWNERS to Apache Geode

It looks like the discussion period ended Nov 25 with all comments in support, so next phase is populating the proposed codeowners file.  @Robert how long do we have to populate this before you plan to formally propose activating it on develop?

As prescribed I’ve submitted a PR[1] against the feature/introduce-codeowners branch to nominate myself as a code owner for areas I feel qualified to own.

[1] https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/5802

From: Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@vmware.com>
Date: Friday, November 20, 2020 at 11:06 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Adding CODEOWNERS to Apache Geode
+1

I saw the template of splitting the geode code. Can someone nominate a few codeowners in the file as examples?

On 11/20/20, 7:32 AM, "Alexander Murmann" <am...@vmware.com> wrote:

    +1

    I agree with Owen's point that this will improve the experience for new contributors. It also helps people new to the community to have confidence that they got the type of review they need to feel confident to merge. I might get to reviews that are both from great committers who can review for things like coding style, test coverage etc. However, I might be unaware that neither of them know the area I am modifying particularly well. This solves this problem. I can merge with more confidence, once I got the review from the owner.
    ________________________________
Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Sounds good!  I am not trying to coerce anyone…just trying to make volunteering as convenient as possible (instead of a 7-step process, you can just leave an approving review or a thumbs-up in the PR comments to accept your nomination as proposed).

I’ve updated the PR description to clarify that the review period for this PR has been extended to Jan 8, at which time anyone that has not explicitly consented to their nomination will be removed, and if this leaves any code areas with fewer than 2 owners, the sole remaining owner will be cleared as well.

From: Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 10:47 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
Hi Owen,

Thanks for pushing this forward! Given that a lot of folks are on holiday - maybe sometime in January might be a better time to merge this to develop to give everyone a chance to look at it? How about Jan 8th?

I'm glad you nominated some folks to be owners by filling them in. I don't think we should make anyone an owner unless they positively accept though. Can we agree to remove nominees that don't accept before merging? Similarly, I think if some areas don't get more than one owner they should just be left unowned.

-Dan
________________________________
From: Jens Deppe <jd...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, December 14, 2020 at 7:25 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
I've self-nominated for redis, management and security.

--Jens

On 12/14/20, 1:44 AM, "Owen Nichols" <on...@vmware.com> wrote:

    Thanks @Dave and @Karen for volunteering as code owners!

    The Dec 14 deadline @Robert set is today.  So far 11 of the 268 slots have been filled.

    To volunteer, follow these steps:
      cd geode
     git checkout feature/introduce-codeowners
     git pull
     vi CODEOWNERS
      git add CODEOWNERS
     git commit -m "I volunteered"
     git push

    You may need to uncomment the line if you’re the first to append your @githubusername.
    Two or more volunteers on each line is desirable.

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
    Let’s keep this simple.  If you’re nominating yourself, just commit to the branch directly.  If you wish to nominate someone else, make a PR and tag them as a reviewer.

    From: Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
    To be honest, I hadn’t thought of the mess that might make. I guess, we can either make changes directly to the feature branch, which will eventually have a pull-request back to [develop], or we can modify Owen’s existing PR. At the end of the day, it all has to go through the normal PR process back to the develop branch.

    -Robert

    From: Jens Deppe <jd...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 11:43 AM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
    Should we just be adding to Owen's PR?

    If everyone creates their own PR we'll probably end up with a bunch of merge conflicts.

    --Jens

    On 12/7/20, 10:07 AM, "Robert Houghton" <rh...@vmware.com> wrote:

        I haven’t seen any negative responses, and a big THANK YOU to @onichols for making the first PR to self-volunteer into ownership of some code. Lets give people another week to nominate, or self-nominate, as PRs against [feature/introduce-codeowners], and plan to merge this feature into develop on 14 December?

        From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
        Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
        To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

        [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7C7fbb5cee2e0241959b4808d8a1f30ce1%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637437412549770767%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=A9X8cBYaZbfQcnLtOQaPyomAjT1f1TUXsT4ZqT8VNuo%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5855&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cdasmith%40vmware.com%7C4c8d3115c3b84a549d9008d8a14d8d18%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637436701775178422%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=ZD9bdTuaRwEybrmKMBuV7jXpBvfjBFv%2FHzYCSoUwpL0%3D&amp;reserved=0 has been created to merge the CODEOWNERS file to develop.  I filled in a few gaps based on commit history for those areas…if so I’ve tagged you and/or added you as a reviewer.  If you are in any way not comfortable please -1 and/or push changes directly to this PR branch.  Let’s keep this PR open for another week to allow time for everyone to see it and raise any concerns, and plan to merge to develop on Dec 22.

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    From: Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

        From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
        Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
        To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

        [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cdasmith%40vmware.com%7C4c8d3115c3b84a549d9008d8a14d8d18%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637436701775178422%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=saDW8pnnpI8JbO2A%2FOdv4vH6xOUtHxyyJ7cBseK%2Bdz8%3D&amp;reserved=0

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Given the support this is receiving, it looks like the next step is to bring CODEOWNERS to develop.

https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/5855 has been created to merge the CODEOWNERS file to develop.  I filled in a few gaps based on commit history for those areas…if so I’ve tagged you and/or added you as a reviewer.  If you are in any way not comfortable please -1 and/or push changes directly to this PR branch.  Let’s keep this PR open for another week to allow time for everyone to see it and raise any concerns, and plan to merge to develop on Dec 22.

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    From: Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

        From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
        Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
        To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

        [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7C7854a754cb3a497dd1e708d8a0447ab0%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637435563266632621%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=aSkQcQR0AnjhY7402yWd96xZTo3%2FViC4SCGBjm8ZySE%3D&amp;reserved=0

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    From: Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

        From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
        Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
        To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

        [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cjdeppe%40vmware.com%7Cd600a63c23ef4da0212108d8a014d09d%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637435358557517682%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=ttcG7%2F%2BvDbLcPsRW754jcEcB3s5LflMN9D0jol1sa94%3D&amp;reserved=0

From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

From: Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7C5a50309eb0384618603408d89b13a161%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637429855897233657%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=yak4YDvYum7IMYlLYlcZ21fXM7qzwOmXWbWpxZG5%2BwE%3D&amp;reserved=0

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
Let’s keep this simple.  If you’re nominating yourself, just commit to the branch directly.  If you wish to nominate someone else, make a PR and tag them as a reviewer.

Robert, do you want to give this part of the process a week or so, and on Dec 14 take what we’ve got on the branch and create a formal PR to bring it to develop?  We can always fill in any missing code-owners after Dec 14 via PR against develop.

From: Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, December 7, 2020 at 1:38 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7Cbd96934ce32445daca1908d89af86939%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637429739001095616%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=FpEmIZEtZmQB3NgYed2tak7Vk6cV7gukYrXYk9QSRuE%3D&amp;reserved=0

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>.

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Crhoughton%40vmware.com%7Ce548ca1d6b5440cf3b1008d89ae86bc4%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637429670315071059%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=qUKX575Q1I3q2OXEO7BJvr5ms4yVM7nG%2BAF2X7panXM%3D&amp;reserved=0

    From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

    [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cjdeppe%40vmware.com%7C084ca28d6dcb42ad745808d89adaec2f%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637429612370461181%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=sTI13sffzczWq1%2F9LGJ0IAueRds%2F80TLAPIlQ5defIA%3D&amp;reserved=0

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@vmware.com>.

From: Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:56 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>

[1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode%2Fpull%2F5802&amp;data=04%7C01%7Crhoughton%40vmware.com%7C8d82983774b843bcfee808d8967eb03e%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637424818157270550%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=peSSJwhlpb%2BTwpfpsVRECFYsQ29G4uyOTQ00C1pQuj8%3D&amp;reserved=0