Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mystery Admin <my...@whatfantasiesmaycome.com> on 2002/11/06 20:23:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Question about "User" directive

Hi!  I need to configure a virtual host on my server to host a site that uses a
PHP app to upload and save files on the server's filesystem.  I can create the
virtual host ok, but I need to have the file owner/group info set to the
user/group id assigned to the site being hosted and NOT to the user/group Apache
is running under.

I've read the decription of the "User" directive but the online doc states that
when the "User" directive is used in a <VirtualHost> section, it ONLY applies to
CGI execution and nothing else.  Is it possible to do what I need?

In a nutshell, I want to do this:

# Main Apache config

user httpd
group httpd

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.0.1>
User siteAid
Group siteAgroup
</VirtualHost>

I DO realize the suEXEC is required for use of the "User" directive in a
<VirtualHost> section.  I'm currently using Apache 1.3.26/PHP-4.2.1 and am
migrating to Apache-1.3.27/PHP-4.2.3.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Peace....

Tom