Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Bartlomiej Grzybicki <ba...@mail.morliny.pl> on 2000/12/19 19:48:09 UTC

Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)

Hi there,

I'm new here and tried to send
to Apache.org below message.
Read forwarded message, please.

best regards,

Bart Grzybicki

Posted by Bartlomiej Grzybicki <ba...@mail.morliny.pl>.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:

> Anything in the apache-2.0 docs is a good beginning.
> I myself am only getting started, as my job involves working on the
> httpd source.

OK, I will start from scratch.

Bart

Re: Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)

Posted by "Victor J. Orlikowski" <v....@gte.net>.
Bart,

Anything in the apache-2.0 docs is a good beginning.
I myself am only getting started, as my job involves working on the
httpd source.

Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski
======================

Re: Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)

Posted by Bartlomiej Grzybicki <ba...@mail.morliny.pl>.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:

> Very nice delineation of the various grammatical errors, BTW.

thanks

> I am of Polish descent. My parents emigrated ~30 years ago.
> Please feel free to help; I find that my grammar is good, but not
> quite that of a native speaker's.

So, what you've got for me to translate?

Bart Grzybicki

Re: Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:

> Mr. Grzybicki's page is by far the more correct translation, and
> better captures the text of the english version of the page, IMHO.

Okey dokey.  I'll apply the new version.

Joshua.

Re: Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)

Posted by Bartlomiej Grzybicki <ba...@mail.morliny.pl>.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Could the two of you please compare this translation with the one that was
> applied a month ago and will be in the next release:
> http://www.apache.org/websrc/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/index.html.po.iso-pl?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> Which is better?

I've just compared these versions.
I dislike 'pakiet Apache' in Marta's translation - which means Apache
package.
And I dislike 'mozna umiescic ponizszy znak',
which means 'you can put/insert the sign below'.
I think 'logo' which means the same in both languages
is better definition.
And another sentence:
'Dokumentacja do pakietu Apache jest dolaczona
do jego dystrybucji.', which means
'Apache package documentation is included
with its distribution'.
The grammar form is not correct.
The same sentence, but mine, reads:
'Do niniejszej dystrybucji serwera Apache
dolaczono anglojezyczna dokumentacje',
which means 'English documentation
has been included with this distribution'.

I don't want to brag, but
I think my translation is more correct.

I'd like to hear other's opinions.

best regards,

Bart Grzybicki

Re: Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:

> Please apply this translation as the default Polish start page.
> It is excellent.

Could the two of you please compare this translation with the one that was
applied a month ago and will be in the next release:
http://www.apache.org/websrc/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/index.html.po.iso-pl?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Which is better?

Joshua

Re: Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)

Posted by Bartlomiej Grzybicki <ba...@mail.morliny.pl>.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:

> Please apply this translation as the default Polish start page.
> It is excellent.

thanks.

> I am working on a translation of the overall Apache docs to Polish.
> Polish users, please feel free to pitch in and help, as my plate is
> kept fairly full.

Are you Polish?
I'd like to help you with this.

Regards,

Bart Grzybicki

Re: Polish translation of the Apache startpage (fwd)