Posted to regexp-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Nathan Coast <na...@netdecisions.co.uk> on 2000/06/29 19:58:50 UTC

confusing behaviour of regexp code

firstly is this the correct place to be sending these sort of questions?
If not, sorry - can someone point me in the right direction.

why should the ordering of the character values within [  ] be significant?

e.g. this string "-12+)( 3   "

is failed by

^[\\(\\)0-9\\-\\+ ]+$

and passed by

^[0-9\\-\\+ \\(\\)]+$

Thanks
Nathan

Re: confusing behaviour of regexp code

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/29/2000 10:58 AM, "Nathan Coast" <na...@netdecisions.co.uk>
wrote:

> firstly is this the correct place to be sending these sort of questions?

yes.

> why should the ordering of the character values within [  ] be significant?
>
> e.g. this string "-12+)( 3   "
>
> is failed by

> and passed by

Ug. I'm no regex expert, but it sounds like it could be a bug.

-jon