Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Felix Knecht <fe...@felixknecht.ch> on 2010/06/04 16:14:37 UTC

Code is never executed

This will always match for the else clause - we now the attributeType is
null (line 1469). Probably dead code?

http://people.apache.org/~felixk/shared-docs/xref/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/entry/DefaultEntryAttribute.html#1475

Re: Code is never executed

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/4/10 5:09 PM, Felix Knecht wrote:

>> I *do* look at the reports, but not as frenquently as you do. Probably
>> because I consider that we have many other serious issues to fix in the
>> server, and I wrongly assume that they are more important than the one
>> you are pointing out.
>>
> I didn't want to blame anyone. I just do what I'm able to ;-).
> Both things are needed: Development and code review. As I started with
> this I continue and I really appreciate that you guys are going ahead
> with the development (and are sometimes interrupted with some 'odd'
> questions).
> We need both! Go ahead and I try to read the reports :-)

Absolutely :)
> Just one question
> Is it ok to do this via dev list or shall I add jira entries which seems
> to me an overkill?

For such Q&R, the ML is plain ok. Fill a JIRA if you feel like the
question is a bit to complicated, or if you think there is a serious bug
that will need love, or if you don't have time to fix it and you don't
want to see the problem vanishing under a pile of mails.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: Code is never executed

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

Re: Code is never executed

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/4/10 4:40 PM, Felix Knecht wrote:

> On 06/04/10 16:32, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> On 6/4/10 4:14 PM, Felix Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> This will always match for the else clause - we now the attributeType is
>>> null (line 1469). Probably dead code?
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~felixk/shared-docs/xref/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/entry/DefaultEntryAttribute.html#1475
>>>

>> Dohhh ! Good catch again :)
>>
> Well, is it dead code now?

I guess so.

>> I will soon think that code reviews should be mandatory :)
>>
> The tools are already doing this for us. I just seem to be the one ATM (
> ... as I have still not much knowledge of the code ...) looking at the
> reports which are generated.

I *do* look at the reports, but not as frenquently as you do. Probably
because I consider that we have many other serious issues to fix in the
server, and I wrongly assume that they are more important than the one
you are pointing out.

The key is : there is nothing such as frivolous errors. An error is an
error, and has to be fixed.

So keep going, and trust me, those reports are really important, or all
of us.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com