Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2011/05/05 20:52:53 UTC

[lucy-dev] Apache CMS-based Lucy site is live

Greets,

The Lucy website based on the Apache CMS is now live.

    http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/

By design, it has approximately the same graphic identity as
<http://www.apache.org/> -- color scheme, text design, general layout, etc.
However some of the details are different: rigid rather than fluid layout,
more careful alignment of elements.

I plan one further major design mod: the addition of a left-aligned vertical
nav bar with links to Lucy-specific resources like the old Forrest site had.
We'll then be able to organize a multi-page site.

I think it might be to our benefit to go through and purge all use of
inherited CSS from www.apache.org, as well.  The design is pretty basic, and
there's a lot of extra stuff in <http://www.apache.org/css/style.css> and its
dependencies that we can live without.

Editing the site content is easy when you use the Apache internal CMS
interface -- some of you who have commit rights on other projects may already
know how to use it.

Editing the design templates was tricky at first.  The Apache CMS
documentation has all the necessary info, but it's a little scattered, and the
setup you have to do in preparation for generating pages locally under the
default configuration is surprisingly complicated.[1]

To lower the barrier to entry, I've simplified our CMS plugin view.pm file so
that it uses only modules which are bundled with the CMS.  All you need to
generate pages locally are two svn checkouts: the Lucy site and the CMS.

I plan to create an EditLucySite page on the Lucy wiki with recipes for both
modifying content and modifying templates.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#local-build

Re: [lucy-dev] Apache CMS-based Lucy site is live

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Marvin, frickin' awesome work, per usual!

Cheers,
Chris

On May 5, 2011, at 11:52 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> Greets,
>
> The Lucy website based on the Apache CMS is now live.
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/
>
> By design, it has approximately the same graphic identity as
> <http://www.apache.org/> -- color scheme, text design, general layout, etc.
> However some of the details are different: rigid rather than fluid layout,
> more careful alignment of elements.
>
> I plan one further major design mod: the addition of a left-aligned vertical
> nav bar with links to Lucy-specific resources like the old Forrest site had.
> We'll then be able to organize a multi-page site.
>
> I think it might be to our benefit to go through and purge all use of
> inherited CSS from www.apache.org, as well.  The design is pretty basic, and
> there's a lot of extra stuff in <http://www.apache.org/css/style.css> and its
> dependencies that we can live without.
>
> Editing the site content is easy when you use the Apache internal CMS
> interface -- some of you who have commit rights on other projects may already
> know how to use it.
>
> Editing the design templates was tricky at first.  The Apache CMS
> documentation has all the necessary info, but it's a little scattered, and the
> setup you have to do in preparation for generating pages locally under the
> default configuration is surprisingly complicated.[1]
>
> To lower the barrier to entry, I've simplified our CMS plugin view.pm file so
> that it uses only modules which are bundled with the CMS.  All you need to
> generate pages locally are two svn checkouts: the Lucy site and the CMS.
>
> I plan to create an EditLucySite page on the Lucy wiki with recipes for both
> modifying content and modifying templates.
>
> Marvin Humphrey
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#local-build

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist