Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2021/06/09 07:09:24 UTC

[VOTE][CANCELLED] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.47

TLDR: Please review the packaging / signatures / whatever even though the
9.0.47 release is cancelled !

The proposed Apache Tomcat 9.0.47 release is now available for
voting.

The notable changes compared to 9.0.46 are:

- Improve robustness of HTTP/2 HPACK decoding

- Improvements to the handling of the Transfer-Encoding header

- Review code used to generate Java source from JSPs and tags and remove
   code found to be unnecessary.

- Backport the updated blocking NIO code and optimizations from Tomcat 10.0.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-9.0.x/docs/changelog.html
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat9/docs/changelog.html>

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-9/v9.0.47/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1314/
The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/9.0.47
e2febebd2fffc10764f70bdd7a3c879f571b3795

The proposed 9.0.47 release is:
[X] Broken - do not release

Broken due to an issue with the reflection code generator that did not get
updated after the NIO backport (one introspected class is now missing).
Unfortunately this part is not usually run so I never noticed it until I
did the release target.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE][CANCELLED] Release Apache Tomcat 9.0.47

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 09/06/2021 08:09, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> > TLDR: Please review the packaging / signatures / whatever even though the
> > 9.0.47 release is cancelled !
>
> I can't start Tomcat on Java 8. Lots of:
>
> 09-Jun-2021 11:12:46.489 SEVERE [http-nio-8080-Acceptor]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.setSocketOptions Error setting
> socket options
>         java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> java.nio.ByteBuffer.clear()Ljava/nio/ByteBuffer;
>                 at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .SocketBufferHandler.reset(SocketBufferHandler.java:213)
>                 at org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .NioChannel.reset(NioChannel.java:59)
>                 at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .NioEndpoint.setSocketOptions(NioEndpoint.java:488)
>                 at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .NioEndpoint.setSocketOptions(NioEndpoint.java:79)
>                 at org.apache.tomcat.util.net
> .Acceptor.run(Acceptor.java:126)
>                 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
>

> It appears the release was built with Java 11. That won't work. It needs
> to be built with Java 8. Well, strictly, it needs to be compiled with
> Java 8.

Oops. That's easy to fix thankfully. The JVM default changed not that long
ago to Java 11 on my Linux, that makes the compile step error prone.

> I also noticed that the Tomcat Installer for Windows was not signed. I
> think you said you were building on Linux. I haven't tested the Windows
> exe signing working on Linux but the docs suggest it is possible.
> Investigating this has been on my TODO list for a while. I'll take a look.

I'll continue trying but the smctl tool (even the Linux version) doesn't
display the certificate.

Rémy

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/06/2021 08:09, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> TLDR: Please review the packaging / signatures / whatever even though the
> 9.0.47 release is cancelled !

I can't start Tomcat on Java 8. Lots of:

09-Jun-2021 11:12:46.489 SEVERE [http-nio-8080-Acceptor]
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.setSocketOptions Error setting
socket options
	java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
java.nio.ByteBuffer.clear()Ljava/nio/ByteBuffer;
		at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketBufferHandler.reset(SocketBufferHandler.java:213)
		at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioChannel.reset(NioChannel.java:59)
		at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.setSocketOptions(NioEndpoint.java:488)
		at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.setSocketOptions(NioEndpoint.java:79)
		at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Acceptor.run(Acceptor.java:126)