Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Arvind S <ar...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/03 10:56:09 UTC

Re: issue with Group permissions in Ranger

looking into this further i got to this article ..
http://hortonworks.com/blog/hadoop-groupmapping-ldap-integration/
which mentions that groups need to be managed at LDAP/AD side .. for
assertion .. is this still a valid scenario with ranger in play?

Does this mean groups are to come exclusively from LDAP/AD for both the
service users (hdfs,hive ..etc) and user defined groups?
or is there a mechanism to fall back to linux level groups if they are not
in LDAP/AD ?

*Cheers !!*
Arvind

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
I am not very familiar with the precise configuration of SSSD and NSSwitch,
but I can try to learn more and make some documentation, as this is how my
company synchronizes users and their groups from the central LDAP for each
machine.
Still, I am not sure this will be quite useful as Hadoop provides its own
way to synchronize user groups directly from LDAP with Hadoop groupmapping.

Anyway, tell me if this would help, and where to put the documentation.

From:  Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>
Date:  Monday, August 3, 2015 at 2:29 AM
To:  "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: issue with Group permissions in Ranger