Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/05/01 00:10:23 UTC

Re: You make the decision (was Re: Quick! convert all yourprojects to maven!)

From: "Jon Scott Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com>

> on 4/30/02 2:46 PM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Krysalis Centipede:
> > http://www.sf.net/projects/krysalis/
> >
> > Site using Centipede:
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/
> >
> > You make the decision.
>
> To me, the decision is simple:
>
> Krysalis isn't our own dog food.

Centipede started as a Jakarta POI build.
Then it was used by xml-Forrest.
Then I proposed to put it in Forrest but the community decided that it was
better off on itself for now.

I can't help it if some Jakarta Projects keep on creating sub-projects, that
are not related to the scope of the original project, at their wish.

> I would far rather see whatever Krysalis has incorporated into Maven
because
> Maven is here, not there.

It will take me no time to put it in Jakarta-Commons.

>  I also see Maven as being more feature complete

Sure, does it give automatic build functionality download?
Does it give you easy skin selection?
Does it give you UML class diagrams?

> as
> well as having more developer interest.

That's your opinion.

> I also have a serious bias towards
> Maven's stylesheet. :-)

Centipede has skins, and also a Scarab skin.
Next beta will have a Maven skin :-)

> But, the community will decide in the long run...

+1

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: You make the decision (was Re: Quick! convert allyourprojects to maven!)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Jon Scott Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com>

> on 4/30/02 3:10 PM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >>  I also see Maven as being more feature complete
> >
> > Sure, does it give automatic build functionality download?
>
> Yes.

In Centipede you just write the name of  the /single/ piece of functionality
you want and it gets installed.

> > Does it give you easy skin selection?
>
> Yes.

In centipede you just write the selected skin name as a property.
And skin is not just colors.

> > Does it give you UML class diagrams?
>
> We await your contribution. Personally, I think UML diagrams is a waste of
> time. I can visualize class diagrams in my head without problems by simply
> looking at the source code or javadoc.

Good for you.

> >> as
> >> well as having more developer interest.
> >
> > That's your opinion.
>
> Fact. Do the math.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/developer-list.html

Nice list.

> >> I also have a serious bias towards
> >> Maven's stylesheet. :-)
> >
> > Centipede has skins, and also a Scarab skin.
> > Next beta will have a Maven skin :-)
>
> Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Then it means we both like tigris ;-)

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/30/02 3:10 PM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

>>  I also see Maven as being more feature complete
>
> Sure, does it give automatic build functionality download?

Yes.

> Does it give you easy skin selection?

Yes.

> Does it give you UML class diagrams?

We await your contribution. Personally, I think UML diagrams is a waste of
time. I can visualize class diagrams in my head without problems by simply
looking at the source code or javadoc.

>> as
>> well as having more developer interest.
>
> That's your opinion.

Fact. Do the math.

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/developer-list.html

>> I also have a serious bias towards
>> Maven's stylesheet. :-)
>
> Centipede has skins, and also a Scarab skin.
> Next beta will have a Maven skin :-)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

-jon