Posted to user@struts.apache.org by dh...@lexmark.com on 2001/04/10 21:38:27 UTC

Server Reloading classes

Hi everyone.

After a very frustrating time trying to get Tomcat reloading to work, and trying
to do so with v4, I finally discovered that it is only version 4.0 b1 (and not
b2 or b3) in which this DOES work (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg16410.html)

Can be downloaded from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0-b1/

Thought some others out there might find this useful.

Dave

Re: Server Reloading classes

Posted by William Jaynes <wj...@mediaone.net>.
I'll say. I spent quite a while trying to get the reloading to work in Tomcat4. Everyone kept
insisting that it "just worked". I finally switched to Resin and am very happy because it really
does "just work". Plus it detects almost any change, from it's own config file, to a new war file,
to any file under the WEB-INF classes and lib directories.

Posted by Mike Bell <be...@dsg-inc.com>.
It's good to see I'm not alone...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 dhay@lexmark.com wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> After a very frustrating time trying to get Tomcat reloading to work, and trying
> to do so with v4, I finally discovered that it is only version 4.0 b1 (and not
> b2 or b3) in which this DOES work (see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg16410.html)
>
> Can be downloaded from:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0-b1/
>
> Thought some others out there might find this useful.
>
> Dave

There is one and only one place that you can put your classes and have
them trigger automatic reloading -- in the WEB-INF/classes directory of
your web application.  Placing them anywhere else will *not* trigger
reloading.  You also have to set up a <Context> entry for this application
that includes reloadable="true" in its attributes.

However, you do have another option with Tomcat 4 -- use the manager
appliation to trigger reloading manually.  The first thing you have to do
is create a user in the "conf/tomcat-users.xml" file that is assigned the
role "manager" (because the manager application is protected by a security
constraint).  Now, if you want to reload your application mounted on
context path "/myapp", simply open a new browser window and go to

	http://localhost:8080/manager/reload?path=/myapp

and answer the username/password questions (the first time).  This will
reload your application unconditionally, so it's quite useful when you
changed something like your application resources file, rather than
recompiling a class.

If you still have problems with reloading in Tomcat, you should report a
bug to the bug tracking system

	http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

under product category "Tomcat 4".

Craig