Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul Mancillas <pm...@sbcglobal.net> on 2002/01/22 21:52:40 UTC

Problem accessing a web site using AOL

I am running an Apache 1.3.19 web server on a Red Hat 6.1 Linux system. I'm
using Dynamic DNS because I have a dynamic IP address DSL service at home.
The dynamic DNS service is provided by tzo.com. I have several hundred
people that can access my web site with no problems. But there are about
15-20 people that are using AOL as their ISP that are having problems
accessing my site. I have duplicated the problem using one of my Windows98
PC's. When I use MS Internet Explorer to access the site it works OK. When I
use AOL it does one of two things. Sometimes it will display part of the web
page and not display some of the images on the page. And sometimes it will
not display any of the page and I get the error "Web Site Not Responding,
The web site you have requested may be experiencing technical difficulties
due to a busy or broken server. Please try again by clicking the Reload icon
on your navigation bar or, if that doesn't work, you may want to return to
the site at a later time. 504 Connection Timed Out". When I click on
"Reload" I get the same message after a few seconds. I have monitored the
Apache "access_log" when I try to access the web pages and I can see the
http GET's for the pages and the image files. So I know that the client can
access the web server but the pages never get back to the client browser. It
seems like AOL is filtering/blocking the pages. I called the AOL help desk
and they said this is probably caused by Internet Explorer because they use
IE within the AOL software. They told me to call Microsoft support. I feel
like I'm getting the "run-around" treatment.

Has anyone seen this problem before? If so, then how do I fix it? Thank you
for your reply.

Paul Mancillas